Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-turbo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Forester S-Turbo. Do anyone know if I can replace the my original turbocharger with a Impreza GT/WRX turbocharger? Will this turbocharger fit without any modifications? or do I have to replace fuel injectors and ECU from a Impreza also? Have anyone tried to replace the original ECU with a Impreza GT/WRX ECU?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
You can fit a TDo4L from a GT/WRX and yes its a straight fit (you need to dress it with the coolant lines of the foz turbo).

Injectors are the same, you need an ECU reflash (aka remap) as you can't use an Impreza ECU as we have different cams to the Impreza so fuel/timing would be wrong.

Simon

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,965 Posts
I have just done that conversion. I got a second hand TD04L on Ebay for abround €70 or so, and I purchased a manual boost controller to replace the factory electronic unit. The MBC cost €40 inc the carriage and now it goes like stink. The MBC allows you to adjust the boost to just under 0.8 bar which is the fuel cutoff point, but the factory unit only allows 0.55 bar and you will need to get a vacuum boost gauge if you go for the MBC. There is another cheap (free actually) way of getting more "kick" - Remove the top most pipe from the recirc valve on the front of the intercooler and plug the pipe. This is covered in several posts but if you look in "zero boost" under "2.0 turbo engines", there is some info there. If that's not clear, PM me and I will send you finer detail and pictures. The biggest issue changing the turbo was the mounting nuts were seized and a gas torch had to be used to free them, also, the space available to work around the back of the turbo is tight unless you have little girly hands. Other than that, it's not a big deal and for very little outlay (s/h turbo, fitting and MBC+gauge) there is a noticeable improvement. Next step is to get the ECU re-flashed as ours can't be live mapped (Rookie has covered this fairly extensively). Tony.

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo s
65 Posts
This little link has just answered all my questions good work guys,
Right thats me on ebay!
The bailey dv 10 i have has already blocked off the recirc pipe,so looks like being a straight forward job,
Does anyone know how much added bhp fitting a td04l would provide?
Can only think in horses at the moment!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Although you are looking for figures, which I cant provide nor do I care about, the TF035 that comes standard on the 99 Foz is a bit small and asthmatic whereas the TD04L has a bigger gob on it. I think probably changing the turbo is a stepping stone to ECU work but, you might consider the MBC conversion too. I suspect that other than some exhaust work, to go further will probably be quite costly (cams/heads/injectors etc) but from what I've read here, the re-mapping work seems a good move. Changing to the TD04L and the MBC in mine has given it a fairly serious kick that I find amusing, especially when overtaking, regardless of whatever the horse or torque might now be.http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/woohoo.gif

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo s
65 Posts
sounds good to me,already have the downpipe and full system on,so will certainly get myself both a TD04L and an MBC.
Was unclear about the difference between the two turbos but you cleared that one up.
cheers Bassmaker.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I missed one of the more important differences between the two turbos. The TF035 spins up fairly quickly and is good from around 1500rpm whereas the TD04L (L is down the lower end of the TD04 family) doesn't really get it on till about 2500rpm. The TF is more subtle about it's delivery and is unlikely to frighten anyone but the TD is a bit of a loud mouth and I suspect as you go up in the range (and price) to the TD05 and 06 and then on to the VF range, they become increasingly wilder and are capable of giving gobs of power in conjunction with remapping, better exhaust, improved fuelling etc. My TF035 was useful from below 2000rpm in a swift but none flashy manner, the TD04L waits till 2500rpm and then goes from 0 to bonkers very quickly, and I haven't had any mapping yet so that should be entertaining. I'm an amateur and fairly new here myself but there is a remarkable amount of info from generous and knowledgeable Foz owners on this forum, which is where I have learned most of this.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Yeah, just read that through, it's late and I seem to have repeated myself from the previous post, sorry about that.

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo s
65 Posts
No its fine you have given me some good info there my friend,thank you,
Not that this floats your boat but it is an extra 70bhp doing this upgrade,and that is just running standard boost!
my Tf035 does spin up sooner now with the de cat downpipe i have,made a huge difference!
Thanks again
Will keep you posted in the next couple of weeks how i go on with it.

·
Registered
MY03 XT EU
204 Posts
grain of salt for you guys:
03 FXT maps end around 1.82 g/rev and beyond that ecu is clipping load value....
so you basically use 1.82g/rev column to calculate timing and afr at say 2.3g/rev and that is bad or deadly depending on your luck. The other not-so-widely-known thing is fueling mode switchich which is plain broken from factory and needs fixing

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo s
65 Posts
got my td04l today will fit it in the morning,will run standard boost for a week or so untill i can get the gauge and MBC,the fun starts here!

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo s
65 Posts
Not sure if this is common knowledge but when changing the turbo,there is no need to drain the oil as stated,just the coolant,you dont use any oil at all,will save you a job if you didnt already know.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Indeed, and if you're careful you only loose about a cup full of coolant anyway, no need to drain that either.

Simon

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo s
65 Posts
you are a legend simon,
another job jobbed!
Will throw it on in the morning, going to get some sealing washers and the oil outlet gasket.
cheers for that simon.

Tom

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
I did the job on the drive in a relaxed 7 hours (probably 5 hours work plus tea/defrost breaks, it was the 26th December!)

Simon

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Here's a little something relative and perhaps contrary to what I was saying about re-mapping/flashing. I contacted a company here that use Bob Rawles services once a month, to book my Foz in for a re-flash. I explained my mods etc but the chap who owns/runs the company proceeded to "anti sell" me the service. He told me it was not worth my while getting it done with the spec I have (TD04L, MBC, 440 injectors, standard fuel pump and exhaust). It was suggested I put a VF23 from a 2002 Imprezza STI and replace the fuel pump and bigger injectors which would get only get me an extra 40 horse for considerable outlay. I don't wish to go down the de-cat exhaust road so the VF23/fuel pump and uprated injectors was the alternative. I was a little surprised to hear this although in fairness he wasn't trying to sell me a VF23 or the other parts, at this time anyway. So, contrary to what I suggested about re-mapping in earlier posts on this thread, perhaps once the TD04L is fitted and the MBC calibrated, maybe there is little point in spending the 900 euro to get, what? I am a little disappointed but sure, there's 900 euro I can spend on trivial items such as food and clothing:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts