Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just purchased a 2019 Forester Sport and am looking to do a 2" lift and run 225/65r17 tires. These tires are 1" larger diameter over the factory tires so the spare would be longer be safe to run. I have a few questions...

Does anyone know the size of the factory temporary spare?

Does anyone know what a suitable size for a temporary spare would be? I'm having trouble finding something that is a 28.5" diameter.

I don't want to run a full size spare. Just looking for a larger diameter donut to match the larger tires.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
40 Posts
The wheel is to narrow. It will be difficult to go to a taller tire without going to a wider wheel.
I just went to a full sized spare 2 days ago. I bought a stock 17" Forester wheel off of eBay for $70 with free shipping and a used Yokahama 225/60-17 tire from Les Schwab for $74 which is the same size as the Continental AT's I am running. I went with a stock Subaru alloy wheel so I can use my stock lugnuts. With after market wheels you may need extra lugnuts to match the spare. You will have to ditch all of the foam that surrounds the donut now. I notched a 2X4 to span the rear of the opening for support and the spare tire is slightly above the bottom of the floor behind the back seat but not enough to be a problem. A wider or taller tire will not fit easily without more modification.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to try to run a 165/90R17 temp spare on the factory spare tire rim. I'd really like to keep the storage room above the spare tire area. They have a 28.7" diameter and the tires I'm going to run are 28.5".

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doing a little more digging this is what I found:

- The factory tire is a 225/60 R17 which has a 27.6" diameter.

- The factory spare is a 145/80 R17 which has a 26.1" diameter and a 5.7" width.

- The difference in diameter between the two is 5.7%. Now I know I just need to be within 5.7% of my 225/65 R17 tires to be "safe".

Here's my new plan...

- My tires are 225/65 R17 which is a 28.5" diameter

- The spare I found is 155/90 R17 which is 28" diameter and 6.1" wide

- That puts the difference in diameter at 1.8% which is well within the "safe" range and is only 0.4" wider than the factory spare.

It sounds like the diameter of the spare isn't the concern so I'm hoping that 0.4" increase will still fit like the factory spare. Maybe with just a little trim of the foam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts