Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out Friday evening lapping with the MR crew, complete mix of foreign and domestic muscle. Everything from Vette's to Mini's to S2000's and even a Lotus which is rare up here. As always, I had the only Forester but did run with a couple of STI's and Impreza's. One of my good friends was in the 09 STI and he can turn a hot lap, sadly we never managed to get out on the track together. I did manage to run down a few powerfull cars but couldn't hang with the Lotus (was supercharged) or the S2000 with front to rear splitter, difusser and huge rear wing. Burned up lots of fuel , melted away some rubber and had a great time. This track is huge, smooth, challenging, fast and above all, fun. On the back straight, I'm well into 5th gear looking to hit 120mph.

I'm still rendering most of my video. I ran a 1080p HD Panasonic Camcorder which produces huge files. Here's a couple of teasers:

Last 2 laps of the evening before they shut us down:

YouTube - Calabogie Motorsports Park - Subaru Forester Turbo XT - 2 hot laps

Proof that good instruction is worth more than buying HP. One of the BMW instructors lives nearby and turned up, he sat in for a session and gave me some coaching. Video speaks for itself.

YouTube - Calabogie lapping - Subaru Forester XT Turbo

Pesky turbo Miata:

Good luck catching this one. I needs more aero !!

The track has its own photographer, I bought a DVD full of pics as a memento

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
F****** awesome video:rock:
Nice to see for yourself what a little coaching can do.
I've heard nothing but great comments about the tracks.

·
Registered
03 x
384 Posts
i have run that track in my impreza and it is fun. side note i also work there on the weekends as a track safety marshal. yours will be the second forester i have seen at the track. mine will prob be the third later this summer. how did you like corner 8 temptation? not to mention corner 15 the spoon.

heres a couple of shots of my subie at CMP

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp333/convertedsavagex/MikesTackPictures015.jpg
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp333/convertedsavagex/MikesTackPictures008.jpg

heres my incar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q64yN4NyEGE

edit; you might recognise the lotus ahead of me in pitlane as i leave

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have run that track in my impreza and it is fun. side note i also work there on the weekends as a track safety marshal. yours will be the second forester i have seen at the track. mine will prob be the third later this summer. how did you like corner 8 temptation? not to mention corner 15 the spoon.
Must be fun working there. Curious, what colour was the first Forester you saw running and when was that ? Temptation is a bit boring for me, I'm taking the outside track but I suppose I could work on the harder double apex. I did try that a couple of times with the BMW school, faster line but no room for error.

Spoon is a corner I'm working on. I found it intimidating to come throttle on into a coner that drops in elevation off camber. It doesn't feel natural to want to speed up. With some coaching I'm able to take it well and will start to build up speed. That's one turn that once you commit there's no going back.

I learned this week I can power out of Big Rock full throttle and have tons of grip even though its a corner. I've made up a lot of time there.

Looks like a fun day.
I'll make it up there eventually, but not with my SG...
Have you tracked your R32 before ? Much experience ?

·
Registered
03 x
384 Posts
the first forester there was a biege 04-05 na during a race school. try taking temptation at about 3/4 of the way toward the outside then cut in as soon as you see the exit apex curb it helps the run into deliverance. the slightly inside line helps to scrub speed so that you can be full throttle on the exit after the cut into the apex its hard to describe and my instructor when i was there actually had to show me the line before i would try it and its the fastest way through that corner in my opinion .

and yes working there is great not to mention they have a work rewards point system that can be cashed in for lapping days lol. once i get some struts and sways for my fozz its gonna get tracked even tho im only naturally asperated.

some of the fast cars are fun to watch going into the spoon as they like to carry the inside front tire on entry and when the camber changes it sucks the car into the apex

definatly hit me up the next time you are heading out to cmp ill try to be there

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Have you tracked your R32 before ? Much experience ?
Yeah, but I've only run the R32 on flat tracks a few times(Dunnville & TMP)
My local car forum is trying to get me out to TMP with my SG, they actually said they want to see a Forester out there killing everybody else. I need to get my last few handling parts installed before I bother with that though.
I'm not a pro, but every instructor I've run with so far thought I was a natural... so now I just need to get my track project to a point where I can get it out to Mosport for some instruction and practise on the big course there. I feel like I need a few more instructional days before I'll be at the level I want.

If you want drop-off, off-camber, double apex corners... turn 2 at Mosport is for you! :lol:

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great footage!! That track looks immaculate....

Its one of the newest ,longest tracks in Canada, and as you said perfect shape. My tires aren't torn up at all, they look like someone took fine sandpaper to them.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NAH, Just more turbo

make sure you enter next months forester of the month for track pics. these pics are close to a shoe in for winner!!!!
Is that next month's topic ? Timing would be great , I have about 100 pics to chose from.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Thanks for including us. Few understand what it takes to keep in the throttle in a off camber turn. It's only once you have done it where you can gain "big time" on another driver. What rubber are you running? And when will you take the plunge and get your racing license? SCCA or NASA? Spend a few bucks on a Miata and enjoy yourself!

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
legacy i dont know if its your camera but your car sounds like racing beast... nice racing as well i can see your watching your apexes
Not the camera, it does sound like that at full pedal :biggrin:

Thanks for including us. Few understand what it takes to keep in the throttle in a off camber turn. It's only once you have done it where you can gain "big time" on another driver. What rubber are you running? And when will you take the plunge and get your racing license? SCCA or NASA? Spend a few bucks on a Miata and enjoy yourself!
Glad you liked it. Yes, absolutely. Keeping on the gas going into that turn when the track drops down and away from the corner is the last thing your mind wants to do. If anythign I want to ease around that corner but with proper coaching I was going for it.

Rubber = 255/40/17 Toyo RA-1 R comps, one of the last sets available when production stopped.

I did a race school 3 years ago, fun but I don't have the fundage to run a dedicated race car with parts, repairs etc. I am seriously considering buying a track car, not a Miata but an S2000. They're cheap as chips, reasonably nimble and quick and well, a Honda. You can buy one right now for $8k-10 in excellent shape, or rough shape/theft recovery for $4-6k which would still suit my needs.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awessome foz, driving, footage... hell, everything!

that is a really nice track! more of the 100 pics please!
Here's a couple, this is one of my favs right below

I like this one cause I'm wearing my STI jacket - it was a cold day just above freezing.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That looks like way too much fun! Makes me miss having a 5MT (or better yet, 6MT)...

Legacy, do you have a Member Journal or page listing your mods?
No net yet. I never felt I had that many mods it was worth noting when compared to others but I have done mine with track duty (and a little bit of bling) in mind so perhaps a journal isn't a bad idea.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts