Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
I need some direction. My Subaru is lagging... big time. Forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology but when I try to go up hill or above 40mph I hear a loud noise. It sounds like dull wiper blades scraping glass. It gets worse as I drive and also surfaces when I accelerate to speed up or go from a complete stop. Could this be an issue with the turbo?

took it to the shop today and they replaced all 4 spark plugs, timing belt, & water pump. Sadly the issue persists and they cant figure it out. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
298 Posts
Welcome!

A few more bits of information could help in this diagnosis. Specific model year, mileage, are the the original owner? If you can get some audio of the sound you hear, that would help immensely.

That said, the symptoms you described along with the sound that you hear do seem to point to a bad turbo. If this is in fact the case, you really shouldn't be driving it. Easier said than done if this is your daily drive. But, if that turbo decides to give up the ghost completely, you could have severe internal engine damage to contend with, along with the turbo. Best advice for the interim, if you have to drive, try to keep off the boost as much as you can.

The good news, a remanufactured stock TD04 turbo can be had for under $500...and swapping it out is not super labor intensive. Much less so than the plugs and timing belt anyhow.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
756 Posts
@StizzleD91 No Check Engine Light (CEL)?
What happens when you sit still and give it gas? In that case the car has much less of a load so the engine shouldn't have an issue revving up.
Did this happen suddenly or over time? IOW, did it get progressively worse?
Turbos don't kick in until you need for it to kick in. If you drive it like an old lady, not mashing on the pedal, it should still get up to speed without the turbo becoming truly active. It will just take a bit longer. Does it?
When it does crawl up that hill and it finally gets there, is the engine speed doing anything weird? Like does the engine speed go hear red point, yet the car doesn't move? That would kinda indicate a transmission issue of sorts..

Looks like they just loaded up the parts canon and started replacing things.
That's not a good thing because it is both frustrating and expensive. They should have also checked for a blocked exhaust or CAT, I'd imagine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts