Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have recently bought a 1997 Forester 2.0 N/A Engine. Never had one before so not much to compare to but she seems to lack power!!

I changed the plugs to NGK IRIs with very slight improvement, she seems to start ok, but is very hesitant acclerating unless you really give it some throttle, seems to give up on inclines a little to early and occasionally misses.

Coupled with this, she only does about 250 miles on a tank and occasionally smells of petrol (I would guess unburnt, as can't see any fuel leaks).

My instinct would be the coil, but there are so many other sensors and stuff, I could do with some advice if any one else as had a similar problem.

Many thanks

Mark

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Front o2 sensor (a/f sensor) and map sensor in your case can affect the engine power. If the coil is defect you should be having more problems.

·
Registered
2008 Car
269 Posts
How many miles to people generally get - yes I appreciate it depends on the right foot, but I get between 250 and 270 if I'm sensible...

I don't have much problems with power unless it's a steep hill and the wrong gear!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Premuim Auto
136 Posts
On my 2002 I get 300 miles till the fuel light comes on, and I've ran it 350 miles on a tank. My throttle is rather sensitive, put the lightest pressure on it and you're going 20mph. I get a 0-60 time of about 10 seconds.

Just a thought: In addition to the sensor, how's the timing belt?

·
Registered
2008 Car
269 Posts
When you say timing belt - as in check it's adjusted correctly or check the state of it (rubber etc...)?

And I assume the UK -> US tank sizes are the same?

·
Registered
2007 Forester
1 Posts
Hi Guys, I've just bought a 2007, MT, 2.0 N/A forester. It's a great vehicle, the AWD system y awesome and the engine power seems just fine for city driving..but for highway driving or going to the mountains (I mean up yo 4,800m above sea level) I will like some more power. Any suggestions but keeping it simple? exhaust system and a K&N filter maybe?

·
Registered
2001 Forester Dual-Range Manual
614 Posts
Really more power? I find my MY02 2.0L N/A to be powerful enough.
I know its limits but the power has never been an issue for overtaking (on highways with 3 carrage long semi trailer trucks). But mines a manual, so just drop it back to 4th, foot flat hit 5500rpm, change to 5th and your doing 140km/hr and still rising quickly. Thats on a straight. On a hill just drop it back to 4th, foot flat to the floor and she will increase steadily but just enough to get past usually.
My fuel economy well I can get between 450-600km out of a tank in city driving depending if I redline it every gear change or drive like a normal person (changing between 2500-3500rpm). On the highway about 650km to a tank (doing 60 with the fuel light on) and sitting on the speed limit (110km/hr). With a mix I get about 500-580km to a tank and fueling up 55l out of a so called 60l tank. Its not too bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts