·
Art Director
2001 Forester S Automatic
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LA to Mammoth : Snowboard Rally

OK it's not really a rally.
Well it is to me.
But myself and a few cars of friends are caravaning to Mammoth in a few weeks and I wanted to plot some interesting points to stop at between here and there...
How about a geocache that is worthwhile...
I was hoping someone who has spent some time around the 395 and death valley could give me a few parks to take a stretch at or scenic views that weren't to far off the beaten track up to Mammoth.

I'm staying at June Lake so we will do Mono Lake loop for sure.
Oh yeah I'm the only AWD car in the group, no offroading trips.
Except maybe in the sand around Mono Lake in my car.
I'm thinking of ghost towns possibly.

GPS coordinates greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
317 Posts
Well, depending on exactly "how far" off the path you wanna go there are all kinds of good sites up there. I drive to tahoe up the 395 several times a year, most recently for new years... there are all kinds of cool lakes/streams/trails all around that area that are fun to drive... lots of scenic views, photo opps, and cool stuff to look at. Let me see what I can think off...

North of mammoth are the twin lakes, a must see if you've never been there. The largest trout ever caught in CA was caught there. Not to mention that the word 'breathtaking' does not do them justice.

Near Mammoth and June lake is a little gem called Convict lake. It is one of the highest elevation lakes in the Sierras, and also the highest that is easily accessable by car (paved road). Not only does it have some of the clearest water you have ever seen, the fishing is insane. But beware, its at nearly 8,000 feet.. just a little 300 foot hike from your car with tackle can take it out of you. If I remember right you take the highway out of Lee Vining that heads over to Yosemite... the locals up there will definatly know.

Bodie is also a cool spot... old gold rush town that has been preserved in its state of decay. The road is normally closed due to snow from october - may, but we've had a light winter so it may be passable. The turn off is north of mono lake, up the hill before Bridgeport.

Just before Bishop there is a turn off for the White mountains... on the east side of the Owens valley. They are home to the "Ancient Bristlecone Pine" ... what is known at this time as the oldest living tree on the planet, over 4,700 years old. One of my favorite places to visit, though it is a couple hour detour.

Ohh yeah, and if you are familiar with June Lake, the TIGER BAR is a MUST. When you need a place to wind down after a day of .... whatever, thats the place to do it :smile:

Well, I can think of a bunch of things that you can see within a couple hours of there, just let me know if you want something more specific. Also this page should help you out a bit... http://www.395.com/

Have fun!

·
Art Director
2001 Forester S Automatic
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the perfect storm

if i don't make it back....
I love you guys.

:drool:
It snowed 27" today at Mammoth.
I'm leaving in the morning.
I just installed some cheapo foglights on my rally-bar, but they are pretty bright.
Got some new cables for the tires.
Wish me luck, this will be like a 4-5 foot storm that just keeps coming.
Sickest ever. Epic.:wiggle: :Banane36:

Forester Uber Alles - Oi! Friggin' Oi!:drive:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Wow, insane amounts of snow... got any more pics?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts