Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you go with?
They're within my budget, get good reviews, and seem like good tires. Similarly priced. They would be all-seasons in Michigan, so pretty substantial winters.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
After my experience with the Kumho Ecsta ASX's I'll stay far away from any Kumho product. However, I'll recommend the Falken's heartily.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
I find the 912's to be "meh". Decent tire for the money, but nothing special. I wouldn't run them in the winter. If you want something that will go well in the winter I'd look at the continental extremecontact DWS or something along those lines (not sure how the new dws is in the snow, but the old extremecontacts were absolutely amazing). No idea about the kumho's although I've heard good things about the ecsta MX and SPT.

·
Administrator
30,106 Posts
What's wrong with the ASX, if I may ask?
The had poor tracking/handling characteristics to the point where they made the car feel wobbly and twitchy, and were at the wear bars at less than 12k miles. You can read my entire review thread on them here (be sure to read the whole thread). At first they seemed ok, but the handling got worse as they wore. From what I hear, the issues I had are pretty common for Kumho tires in general.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X LEV II
67 Posts
I wouldn't recommend either one for a Michigan Winter. Consumer Reports gives both of them a Poor Snow Performance.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like neither of these tires are glowing with reviews here. I read this board all the time and take my fellow Subie drivers opinions over the tire shops any day.

That being said, any specific recommendations that are actually affordable? The Continentals sound great, but we're looking at quite a bit more though I think... Any decently priced 'off brand' tires worth looking at?

I would be using these tires year round, definitely snow in the winter.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
I have not used either of the tires that you are looking at. Though I have been contemplating the ZEIX 912's for myself, I don't have to worry about snow or ice, living in FLA.....well at least until hell freezes over. That being said, and price being an issue, sometimes if you have to pay a bit more for something that will last longer and give you better performance then it is a win win scenario. Like Silke said the Kumho's wore out at about 12K. Even though you saved $$ on the purchase you are now looking at a new set of tires..........Did you really save $$$ or was it a waste? From what I have seen here and the reviews the Conti's seem to be a good choice for an all around multi performance tire.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I won't speak for how they perform in snow but in wet weather the set of Kumho HP4 716s we had on our 2001 L were really excellent. They were reasonably quiet, smooth riding and had handling characteristics that were well matched with the Forester. They lasted almost 60,000 miles before I replaced them and then it was because of a cut tire and not quite down to the wear bars. Snow? Come on I live in Georgia. Not to contradict Silke's experience but I've had great luck with the other Kumho tires on my Subarus. In fact I think they are the best tires for the money I've ever owned in over 40 years of buying tires. I now have ASXs on my 2000 OBS which look like they are going to get about 40K on them before wearing out and Solus KH16s on our 2002 Forester S. The KH16 is a newer design than the 716 and rides even smoother than the 716s did.

Guy

·
Administrator
30,106 Posts
I'll have to agree with most others here, for snowy climates I wouldn't recommend the Falken's either. They're technically all-seasons, but honestly they lean more toward the summer performance type. I missed that tidbit about snow in my earlier post.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
What size are you looking at? You can still get the old contiextremecontact (nonDWS) in 215/60/16 for 90 each. They're probably the best all season if you're going to be driving in snow aside from some of the Nokian all seasons ( those even have the winter tire snowflake symbol on an all season but are a bit more $$ ) Aside from braking, the contiextremecontact performed nearly as well as a snow tire in deeper snow.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Premium
164 Posts
The had poor tracking/handling characteristics to the point where they made the car feel wobbly and twitchy, and were at the wear bars at less than 12k miles. You can read my entire review thread on them here (be sure to read the whole thread). At first they seemed ok, but the handling got worse as they wore. From what I hear, the issues I had are pretty common for Kumho tires in general.
Thanks, I've just read the whole thing....... I'm running ASX right now on my impreza. If I would caught your post earlier I would of opt for something else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts