Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just on the phone with a shop called Suba Performance here in Denver and was asking about having my Koni Inserts that I had ordered installed. His first reaction was hesitation. He was well aware of the process involved and said he wouldn't do it for the simple fact that there are several other options available, one of which was even complete Koni struts. I can't find any proof to this and he said he even installed them on another Subaru as recently as 2 weeks ago. Is this guy confused? He is supposed to call back on pricing of Konis he suggests and the springs I speced, etc by sometime tomorrow. I guess we'll see what he comes up with.

I'm starting to wonder if going with the Koni Insert route will make it hard for me to find a shop willing to install. He also quoted that a strut/spring job is $240. I thought that was fairly reasonable. Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Ground Control makes this kit utilizing Koni inserts in their own housing, with some sweet camber plates.

$240 for spring and strut install sounds pretty reasonable.

Just call Koni directly and ask them. This is what I see on their site.

Stan

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
First off the Koni inserts were specced for an Impreza. HOWEVER, they fit perfectly fine in the FXT housing, and were almost made for them if I must say so, and the 30k+ miles I have on mine.

The difference in struts between the impreza and forester are listed here:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/impreza-struts-vs-forester-struts-difference-7607/

If said shop doesn't want to install Koni inserts, do it yourself, or go elsewhere. I mean to say they dont want to do it because there are easier options? It doesn't mean they are better or are more appropriate. Putting in Impreza based struts is just wrong.

·
Registered
2008 2005 XTi 6speed!!
142 Posts
good like with you koni adventure, let us know what you end up doing.

i have been trying to figure out my new summer setup too...I have looking for a very low setup with some rear adjustment. i have been planning on using the koni inserts in wrx housings with a set of the ground control coilover conversion springs... only reason i have not ordered it all up is that i have been trying to figure out what i am going to do about front mounts... I should be able to put it together for way less than the $1899 complete kit from GC

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
teiva-boy, I'm a little confused by your response. Several people here have installed Konis on Impreza struts without issue and quite frankly much success.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Teiva, you are the only one I know of who's running these in Forester strut bodies, glad to hear it's worked out well for you. I was wanting to go that route at first also after running Forester Swifts over stock struts for a while, but in my research decided against it. One of the reasons was this post from Porter in the thread you've linked above.

I agree that Impreza suspension makes our cars low, but I suspect that with Koni inserts and Forester Swifts in Forester struts, amount of travel wouldn't be hugely different from Koni inserts and SPT Pinks in Impreza struts. I would guess the difference may be an inch, it would be very interesting to measure this. Geometry is still fine IMO, at least I do not feel any "weirdness" like I felt when I was over an inch lower.

Stan

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
^ by putting them in the Forester strut bodies, the spring perch sits up a bit higher so you won't loose the ride height.

The insert doesn't have much affect on ride height unless it's so short that limits how far the strut will extend (so short being that it limits droop travel). This will also make for a horrible ride as well.

I suspect the Koni's fit in quite well because of that bolt extension at the bottom of them that the D-rex spacers correct in the bottom of the housing.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
^^ Right. This assumes Impreza springs are used, right? Not Forester Swifts?

Just trying to clear things up. I still have my stock Forester struts and would not be opposed to gutting them and transplanting the inserts into them -- I'm running them in '04 WRX strut bodies now.

Stan

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
^ Well, can't say for sure as I haven't had the parts in hand in...6 years? (last time I dealt w/ the koni inserts in person).

But I'd imagine w/ Forester springs actually.

Impreza guys run into the Koni struts being too long actually (thus limiting bump travel), so they use the D-rex spacers to drop them in the housings a bit further.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it looks like everything is finally coming together. I have found a gentleman over at awdpirates and a couple of shops that would do the work. I just went ahead and ordered the inserts again and the springs. Getting a hold of used strut bodies and tophats doesn't seem as big an issue as earlier thought either. Bank account is looking a little grim, but I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the wheel trigger this week too!

One last question, should I be considering camber bolts at this point? i am not completely sure of the benefit and need at this point

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
Teiva, you are the only one I know of who's running these in Forester strut bodies, glad to hear it's worked out well for you. I was wanting to go that route at first also after running Forester Swifts over stock struts for a while, but in my research decided against it. One of the reasons was this post from Porter in the thread you've linked above.

I agree that Impreza suspension makes our cars low, but I suspect that with Koni inserts and Forester Swifts in Forester struts, amount of travel wouldn't be hugely different from Koni inserts and SPT Pinks in Impreza struts. I would guess the difference may be an inch, it would be very interesting to measure this. Geometry is still fine IMO, at least I do not feel any "weirdness" like I felt when I was over an inch lower.

Stan
I run FXT bodies, WRX Koni inserts, scooby921 spacers, group-n top hats (the rears are I think 04 WRX ones?) And... Swift springs for a Forester!
Not to mention a lot of other suspension items... ;)

The drop was perfect where it's not slammed at all, yet I get the correct susp geometry, and comfortable ride without running on bump stops or needing camber bolts and/or roll-center correction kits. I would say I'm just a hair over 1" lower than stock. I can get measurements if you would like? Just tell me what/where you want me to measure.

If I didn't have the Koni's now, I would be trying out the new Feal Suspension units made by Hotbits. Made for rallying, but can be revalved to anything I want..

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,670 Posts
I run FXT bodies, WRX Koni inserts, scooby921 spacers, group-n top hats (the rears are I think 04 WRX ones?) And... Swift springs for a Forester!
Not to mention a lot of other suspension items... ;)
That is my goal when my stock strut fails. I came to the same conclusion that Koni insert are too long for WRX strut bodies thus needing drop spacer if running lowering spring.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/just-making-sure-swifts-ones-64806/
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/08-xt-swifts-want-something-stiffer-but-same-ride-height-56307/

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,485 Posts
Teiva-boy and grymes do you have any pics of your cars?
Grymes, what springs did you go for in the end?
See my other thread, I am thinking of doing something similar with FSTI housings, Koni inserts but not sure on the springs.
If Impreza springs can go in Forester housings this gives even more options and headache to choose from.
Also has anyone used this:Ground Control - Complete Coilover Conversion kit, '02-'07 Subaru WRX & STi ?

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,485 Posts
OK, SG9 Sti pinks it is then (FSTI specific) which are harder: 36N/mm front, 34N/mm rear.
I wish I could find the spec for the FSTI OEM struts so as to compare with the yellow Koni inserts.
Japanparts don't mention the spec of them unfortunately:
http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_detail.php?submit.x=46&submit.y=6&NUMBER=00030213&VOLUME=190-069-002&DEALER=1&CAR=11&MIDDLE=3&SMALL=9&MAKER=5&VOLKEY=&SEARCH_DEALER=1&SEARCH_CAR=11&SEARCH_MIDDLE=3&SEARCH_SMALL=9&SEARCH_MAKER=&SEARCH_VOLKEY=&SEARCH_page=

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
fpan, like Stan said, I am using the STI pink wagon specific springs. Also note that these springs are on mounted on Impreza strut bodies.

I guess it's be about two months or so running this setup and I have been very pleased. The install went very smoothly and I haven't had a single issue with the suspension itself since. Not sure it's worth mentioning, but I do have some rubbing issues. With the 245/24/17s I was getting rubbing on my fenders. They have since been rolled. When we had the wheels off we did notice that I was getting a small amount of rubbing on the top of the wheel well where it bumps out a bit on towards the outside of the car. This I assume is due to the fact that the car is lowered like it is and the wheels are wider than stock, if that area was tapped out with a rubber mallet I think the tires would have plenty of clearance when getting the full travel out of the suspension. I do like the adjustability Konis offer and have found myself dialing in the suspension a little differently here and there depending on what kind of driving I'm doing. I snapped a few more shots trying to give you a better idea of the drop and the clearance issues I have run into.

On another note, does anyone know what's going on in the last photo? The piece there is definitely out of place and rubbing as you can tell but at the same time not budging whatsoever.

UPDATE: False alarm on the hanging piece. Comparing that more closely with the other side, it's in the same position. The fuel door parts on the other side were throwing me off.

·
Registered
2004 FXT MT
341 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread, but I was Reading about Koni and had to ask. Koni has P/N 1140-3563 for the Sport Kit that uses the shocks with a set od springs made by H&R. They are designed for all Imprezas WRX 2005-07. The ride drop is 35mm, which is a little more than an inch. The good thing about this set is that is not inserted. The front shock is already a strut. I have tried the Sport Kit before on an A3 I used to own and it works very well. The only concern I have is the effect of the drop on the Forester geometry. Any input on that?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts