Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previously I had installed WRX wagon springs over my stock struts. I then installed koni adjustable struts with Eibach springs and HKS/Cusco adjustable camber plates. The current suspension is a little too firm for me to drive clients around in and I am going to switch to something new.

Here are my choices:

-Go back to the WRX wagon springs/stock FXT struts

OR

-Install the wagon springs on the koni's.

What do you think the difference will be between the stock struts and the konis? Has anyone done something like this?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
It's the strut/shock that determines the ride quality. You also have camber plates which could be making your ride a bit more harsh (think NVH).

The FXT struts are damped much less than the Koni's at their softest setting. Koni states a minimum 25% increased damping over the WRX struts.

I'm guessing you want to keep the lower ride height. That leaves you with your Wagon springs on your FXT struts for the most comfortable ride.

It would be great if you could build two complete suspensions and just swap them at will. Seems like you might have enough pieces to do it.

Suspension 1= Eibach Springs + Koni Struts + Cusco Plates
Suspesnion 2= Wagon Springs + FXT Struts + FXT Tophats (do the work with the wagon springs?)

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
I just sold my brand new Koni inserts that I was going to use with WRX Tein H-techs. I think the combo would have worked-well, and I may still go down that route later, but for now I am probably going to just do the springs on the stock struts until I blow them out. I didn't have the time or location to deal with the strut surgery, nor was I looking forward to cutting up a perfectly good set of FXt struts. I may even opt for a set of 04/05 WRx struts instead.

Overall though, the feedback I have seen on the Koni's sounds like they are much better than going the Sti take-off route. No doubt the path I will take sometime later this summer.

Here is a link to a decent thread over at Nasioc:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919547&highlight=KOni

Jeff

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
jmaiken said:
Previously I had installed WRX wagon springs over my stock struts. I then installed koni adjustable struts with Eibach springs and HKS/Cusco adjustable camber plates. The current suspension is a little too firm for me to drive clients around in and I am going to switch to something new.

Here are my choices:

-Go back to the WRX wagon springs/stock FXT struts

OR

-Install the wagon springs on the koni's.

What do you think the difference will be between the stock struts and the konis? Has anyone done something like this?
These were Impreza struts you had the Konis with correct?

I think the Eibachs that you were running were not stiff enough for the Konis. Overdamped and undersprung can also cause bounciness. The new Prodrive springs or the Pinks are much better matched to these struts.

You may consider also putting your stock tops on the Konis as the stock top's flex is what's absorbing the small bumps on the freeway. It's too hard to judge what's comfortable for someone else.

The difference between the stock struts and the Konis will be night and day. No comparison between struts designed for off road / street and struts that are designed for street performance only not to mention the Konis are much shorter.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
N10S said:
I didn't have the time or location to deal with the strut surgery, nor was I looking forward to cutting up a perfectly good set of FXt struts. I may even opt for a set of 04/05 WRx struts instead.

Overall though, the feedback I have seen on the Koni's sounds like they are much better than going the Sti take-off route. No doubt the path I will take sometime later this summer.
Jeff
There seems to be some conflicting information here. The only Koni inserts i've ever seen will only fit in Impreza struts. Are there some new Konis that fit the stock Forester struts?

The Konis are one of your best choices in a fixed perch strut besides the Ohlins. But these are all Impreza length. Boxer 4 racing sells WRX struts with the inserts already installed and will return you a 200$ core fee if you send back stock WRX struts to them. I think it ends up costing 600$? That's a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
05's XT/GT
174 Posts
Have you considered using KYB AGXs with your wrx wagon springs. This is the setup I'm planning to install this spring. I'm currently running wrx sedan take-offs, but it isn't very cargo friendly. The KYBs provide a nice ride on the softer settings, I've driven cars with that setup. They also work very well with prodrive springs in my experience.

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
According to Alex at alexperformance the diameter of the Fxt strut housing is the same. Have to cut off more of the upper body. They include a very simple template of how much of the Koni insert needs to extend outside of the factory strut housing. I don't think anyone has ever done this though with stock Fxt stuts, but after reading the instructions and looking at the inserts and the factory struts, I wasn't worried about using the Fxt struts. Having said that I am not telling people they should go out and do this...its up to each individual to decide what they are comfortable with when doing mods and upgrades to their personal rides.

I would have done it and been the first to find out, but not having my garage and tools and living in an unfamiliar part of the country left me in a position of not wanting to do this work in some dusty parking lot in New Mexico, or paying through the nose to have some no-nothings assist in doing a job they didn't have any experience with. I chose to sell the Koni's for now.

Jeff

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
jevans said:
Have you considered using KYB AGXs with your wrx wagon springs. This is the setup I'm planning to install this spring. I'm currently running wrx sedan take-offs, but it isn't very cargo friendly. The KYBs provide a nice ride on the softer settings, I've driven cars with that setup. They also work very well with prodrive springs in my experience.

KYB does not sell an 04/05 compatible AGX. You could certainly get a set of 02/03 springs and top-mounts and use the Agx's, but they are not compatible unless you are comfortable using a washer or shim mod on the rear struts. I think the 04/05 WRX sedan struts are a decent compromise for a cheap solution. Other than that and the obvious 04 Sti take-offs the only 04/05 specific aftermarket strut application is the Koni adjustable insert.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
N10S said:
According to Alex at alexperformance the diameter of the Fxt strut housing is the same. Have to cut off more of the upper body. They include a very simple template of how much of the Koni insert needs to extend outside of the factory strut housing. I don't think anyone has ever done this though with stock Fxt stuts, but after reading the instructions and looking at the inserts and the factory struts, I wasn't worried about using the Fxt struts. Having said that I am not telling people they should go out and do this...its up to each individual to decide what they are comfortable with when doing mods and upgrades to their personal rides.
Aahh...I see. I still think it's easier to get a set already mounted in WRX struts from boxer4 racing.

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
Aahh...I see. I still think it's easier to get a set already mounted in WRX struts from boxer4 racing.
Yeah, you are right...no doubts or concerns...just bolt them up! But for $595 shipped and some elbow grease the alexperformance deal was a decent price.

Jeff

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for their input. I ended up putting the stock dampers/WRX wagon springs back on. The Koni/Eibach/Camber plates are for sale in this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts