Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to get started ive had a 2003 Forester XS SOHC for the past few months. Its been a GREAT car. Ive posted about it before but the whole post dissapeared after this new update to the site. So here I am again but with some new news. Oil pressure is good, at idle and warm it is between 12-15 psi. 65 when cold. Checked the oil after a few hundred miles, no metal shavings. The upstream O2 sensor is bad, I know that. But that is the ONLY code its throwing. I replaced the fuel filter. But on a cold start, it is quiet. No sounds other than the intake and fuel injectors. Until I give it just a little gas and you hear it tap between 2k and 3k. When it warms up, its constant. Idle is about 650. Makes the sound up to about 2k then you cant hear it. No loss in power, gas mileage is around 24mpg. If i drive for about 30 minutes and stop, the knocking is gone. I let it run for a few minutes or shut it off and turn it back on, it comes back. Im clueless. I checked the tensioner on the timing belt as well. Still nice and tight and doesnt move a bit. If anybody has any help or advice, id immensely appriciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would think 40 psi to be a good pressure when warm... in general.

what are you basing your assumption on that 15 is "good"?

Worst case is rod knock/bad engine bearings and lots of engine work needed or swap from a JY.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Likely rod bearing failure...and while you suggest that the upstream o2 sensor being the only code...that's a pretty dang major sensor that is needed to ensure proper air to fuel in closed loop fueling. If anything can take out an engine in a hurry, it's that. I'm surprised anyone would ever let that go. It's such a cheap sensor in comparison to the price of losing an engine, or a car in the case where the rebuild isn't worth what the car is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts