Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this problem is my track rod ends as i've had it before with a Toyota I once owned.

Its not a loud noise, more like a gentle dud, dud, dud noise. The harder you corner the louder the noise and it onlt happens when turning left over 30mph!

Any one got any other thoughts?

mike

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Check your CV boots and make sure they haven't split. A dry CV joint could cause a similar noise. Track rod? Do you mean tie rod for the steering? If it's a tie rod you would have some play in the wheel and it would have a tendency to wander going down the road I believe. Don't know if they would make any noise or not though..

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big C

Its not the CV boots, i've been under the car since I posted the above message and there fine. To be honest after I sat down I thought that might be it, hence why i've just been laid on a freezing floor with a torch!

The tie rods look fine as well though :)

mike

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
OK....hmmmm Try rotating your tires to eliminate them as being a possibility? That's weak but it wouldn't cost you much or anything if you can do it yourself. A bearing would sound different than what your describing I think. Brakes...I dunno, check and make sure the bolts are tight on the caliper and the bracket. Sorry, I'm running out of ideas...

·
Premium Member
97 s/tb
983 Posts
The CV boot doesn't have to be split for the CV joint to be gone BTW
If it is in time with the wheel revolving then its most likely the CV joint

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ira,

Think it might be a CV joint, a bearing or hopefully its a loose caliper/brake pad.

I've been out with the SMACS boys to the Midlands scooby meeting, picture below. Amazing how easily my Forester kept up with them, we had a convoy from Stoke to Derby with 32 cars and there where over 100 cars at the meeting, but only two Foresters.

On the way back I started getting a sqeeking noise from the passenger side wheel, which goes under braking. However it might just be salt as you should see the colour of the car after a 100 mile drive today! Its white....

I'll have some time tommorow so will have the wheel off and have a proper look at whats going on.

Mike

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
interesting, will have a look tommorow. Its pitch black outside now and i'm spot welded to the couch watching tv and surfing the web. :)

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
mykp said:
interesting, will have a look tommorow. Its pitch black outside now and i'm spot welded to the couch watching tv and surfing the web. :)
You Brits :p Lemme know what you find Mike, you have me curious now. I can lend some guidence if it's a CV joint but gosh it's a PITA to change one out if you don't have the right tools and what not....

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, just spent the last hour in the garage having a butchers at things as mentioned above.

These are my conclusions.

Track road ends are fine, no splits and no movement other than as subaru intended!

Bearings seem fine, no movement and I wasnt taking off the castle bolts to check them though. (Standard test for dodgy bearings is to check for wheel movement whilst jacked up, rocks from top to bottom)

CV joints look okay as I've had the boots off to look inside and there is no signs of wear and no movement of the joint itself.

I am leaning to the suspension as RX mentioned but there is so much sh|t on them from last weekend (went off road on one of my customers cattle farms) Will have to get the jet wash out and have a proper look.

What I will say from pulling the brakes apart was that my pads where like glass, cleaned them up and put them back on and wayhey my car stops again!!!!

Other than that I have no idea, we'll see how it goes tommorrow. I'm no mechanic and cant thing of anything else.

Mike

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the car to a garage today, there one of my customers.

We took the car for a test drive and as soon as he heard the noise,

"CV joint"

They've quoted me £150 to change it over, is this reasonable?

mike

·
Registered
2004 XT
432 Posts
i had this same noise before it seems and it was not the CV joint. i took it to subaru and they told me it was common and only charged me $40. basically it turned out i jacked it up using the wrong jack point (i remember because i had no place for the jack stand) and it bent something that they just bent back. 1 hour of labor and we were done! AMEN! they said it was common?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts