Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post here. Hopefully i'll give you guys (and girls!) enough information. The other day our 2009 Forester (stick shift, 28,000 miles) started making a noise like someone sticking a pencil into a spinning fan (that's the best i can come up with!). It only happens when the vehicle is coasting, ie, if i accelerate or throw the car into neutral and "glide" the noise goes away. the frequency of the noise seems to be proportional to the speed of the vehicle. It is slower when the car is traveling at low speed and gets faster as the speed increases.
I did a little reading and came up with two suggestions, 1) the lug nuts are loose on the front wheels...i tightened those up, still the same. 2) Bad CV joints. I was under the impression that CV joints lasted 100K+ miles..could they really be bad at 28k?

Thanks in advance for any help...i'm trying to figure out what the deal may be before i go to the dealership.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
I doubt it's CV joints. They generally will first make noise when turning, or you'll see a torn boot. I would be most concerned that this is brake related. Aren't you still under warranty? Next would be a wheel bearing, albeit fairly rare on the front, let alone at this milage. Get this checked SOON. Brake problems can become big problems very quickly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts