Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is a first post, though not first time on this great forum. I’ve searched around for an existing thread before posting – I’ve encountered a knock sound coming from passenger side (RHD car) just after fully engaging first gear. On one occasion I believe I’ve also heard it after accelerating in 2 gear up a hill. Happens only when cold, say in the morning after a cool night. Car is a SH manual na Forester with approx 68,000km. I’ve just had all control arms and sway bar bushings replaced this week and still have the one knocking sound left – control arms/bushings replacement did not fix.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance, if anyone knows of an existing thread would be happy to be linked to that.

·
Create Value
2004 FXT 5MT
267 Posts
Welcome to the forum! First thought is that it sounds like a cold clutch with "hot spots" on the flywheel. Can you identify the location of the sound by having a friend listen in various parts of the cabin, or attaching a GoPro camera underneath the car to capture audio of where the sound is coming from?

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
891 Posts
Happens only when cold, say in the morning after a cool night. Car is a SH manual na Forester with approx 68,000km. I’ve just had all control arms and sway bar bushings replaced this week and still have the one knocking sound left – control arms/bushings replacement did not fix.
Welcome to forum.

Noises are tough to help with on the forum unless a sound clip is uploaded. But, I wouldn't have thought the noise would be a suspension issue; I'd guess a tranny or engine source.

Try letting the engine idle / warm up for 5+ minutes minutes before driving off and see if that makes it quiet. My hi mileage '99 has a definite engine knock (especially noticeable going up a nearby hill) unless I let it warm up in the morning; guessing mine needs the oil to warm up and flow well...?. In my cars, both AT and 5 spd, I change the tranny fluid earlier than factory specs; just saying as an aside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts