Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the dreaded Knock sensor P0327 CEL on my daughters 2001 Forester S. I cleared the code and it had not come back on for a few days but rather than chance it I figure I'd replace the knock sensor. The car has ~178K miles I figured might as well.

The install is very simple on the NA 2.5L motor. The install will apply to other motors and years, but there may be more stuff in the way when getting to the bolt and harness to unplug it.

What you'll need

12mm Socket - To remove and install sensor bolt

12 -14" extension - To get to the sensor bolt.

Ratchet - To remove the bolt from sensor

Torque wrench - To install bolt on sensor

Replacement Sensor - PN: 22060AA070

Sensor part number on Opposed Forces:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/us_s10/type_15/engine_electronic/spark_plug_and_high_tension_cord/

This sensor fits quite a few years as you can see here:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/22060AA070/

Attachments

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before I got started I noticed a fair amount of dirt and stuff around the sensor so I used my air gun and cleaned the area. It's important that the new sensor does not have anything between the sensor and the block where it's contacting. The sensor itself it really just a piezoelectric microphone, you want good sound transmittance.

Before you remove the sensor, take note of the direction the harness coming out of the sensor is pointed. If possible get a quick pic you can refer too. You will need to install the new sensor in the exact same position.

Remove the Negative side of the battery.

Remove the sensor bolt with a 12mm socket on an extension. To get the best angle, I went through the throttle wires as you can see in the pics. The 2001 was the last year for the cables I think, after that I think it was drive by wire so yours may look different if it's a later model.

Now unplug the sensor from harness, press the tab in the area shown in the pic below. I was pressing on the wrong tab at first, large flat area that was facing up for me. When you press the correct tab the plug will easily separate .

With the bolt and harness unplugged you can remove the old sensor.

It's important to get the correct torque setting so to help that happen, clean the threads on the bolt with something like a brass wire brush or toothbrush. Don't put anything bolt, the torque spec is for a dry bolt. Improper torque can make the sensor get bad readings.

Set the new sensor in place being sure to match the position the old one was in before you removed it. If possible start the bolt in by hand to minimize the chance of cross threading the bolt. Now torque down the bolt to 17.4 ft lbs or 208.8 inch/lbs. I used my in/lb torque wrench because I feel it's more accurate than my older ft/lb one.

Next plug in the knock sensor harness in and reconnect the battery and you are good to go.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts