Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has run into this. I am afraid I may have broken an engine mount or tranny mount. At first when I would turn into a parking lot or driveway a little too fast I would hear a klunk sound from under the car almost as if I bottomed out.

Lately, though I am not sure if it's related, when I am running my subie through the gears or having a little red light 0-60 show down I am hearing the klunking as I shift the gears. It seems that with the movement and change in momentum as I am changing gears causes the sound. What do you guys think? I have 42K on the car so it is out of warranty. Although SOA put a new engine in at 28K and thought it may be covered under that warranty which is same as new.

Does anyone know what it costs to replace? Is there aftermarket mounts available IF it is the mounts. Thanks for your help....

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
The clucking that you hear when turning maybe caused by a damaged CV boot. If dirt and dust gets under it, it damages the drive axle internals. If this is it, then it needs to be fixed asap.

Speaking of the clunking when switching gears I'm almost positive it is not a damaged/misplaced engine mount. If that was it, you would have a much rougher idle than usual.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
to determine if it's an engine mount, start the car with the hood up. Put it in gear, depress the brakes and hit the gas pedal. Peer under the gap in the hood and you'll see the engine rise and feel it bottom out when you let off the gas. It will be a thunk if it's broken.

If its a cv axle as Aleksey mentioned, check the boots for splits and look for spun grease in the vicinity. The drivers side probably isnt the issue
The passenger side is REALY close to the CAT and usually gives up first.

My guess...your rear sway bar is making the noise....is it stock or aftermarket?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Aleksy...

Big - I am all stock except for a stage 1 AP. I will definately get under my car tomorow and take a look. So now may be a good time to go AM on the sway bar...

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
It's most likely your rear diff. hitting the body above it. The bushings have enough flex in them to allow the diff to move upwards when you shock the driveline. I've done it a couple of times.

There are aftermarket poly bushings available. I've heard they do increase the NVH. And of course YMMV.

Why did you need to replace the motor?
:shock:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blew the engine. SOA determined the engine had some kind of defect or crack and it blew. It was a little bit of a struggle but in the end the came around and did the right thing. Thank God! otherwise it would have been $7K. Got a brand new engine from SOA in the crate.... :D There are posts on it at SF.com with all the details.

Love the face after your question about the engine...that is exactly the look I had on the side of the road with my engine oil everywhere. :shock:

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Yeah, I kinda remember posting the same "shock" smilie in your thread. Sounds familiar. Something about a "a hole in the block with oil everywhere" or something to that effect.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, that's the one.....

Are we ruling out broken moter mounts all?

·
Administrator
15,357 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
Yeah, I kinda remember posting the same "shock" smilie in your thread. Sounds familiar. Something about a "a hole in the block with oil everywhere" or something to that effect.
Make that 2 (in the old forum) - mine did that too - 2 weeks after hydrolocking :(

Did you check your end-links; they're always coming loose.

·
Registered
59 Posts
SoFlaXT said:
Yep, that's the one.....

Are we ruling out broken moter mounts all?
With broken motor mounts, you could also feel the front end get loose & / or with abnormal torque steer with sufficient application of throttle (WOT). A heavy clunk could also be heard & felt in the body or through the shifter as torque is quickly applied or unloaded depending on the location of the failed / loose mount. Scuff marks may be seen on the engine or various components against the hood or other body parts from the engine rocking on its mounts. Having a friend stand outside & to the side the vehicle with the hood open to inspect for irregular engine movement as torque is applied while holding the vehicle stationary with the brakes may offer a visual clue...BUT, there is risk for bodily injury if not done properly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly, it happens mostly on the 1 - 2 shift. Sounds like I am bottoming out. It happened again yesterday!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts