Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 XT 4EAT.

At 20mph, kickdown engages 1st gear and it holds 1st to the redline (about 40mph).

But at slightly higher speeds, say 30mph, kickdown only engages 2nd gear, which feels relatively sluggish at that speed. Why won't it engage 1st? Clearly, engaging 1st gear at 30mph would not over-rev the engine. (30mph would be about 4500rpm).

Anyone know why this is, and whether there is a way to make it drop to 1st? I can only assume that the transmission is protecting itself rather than protecting the engine.

-- Steve

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Do you hammer the pedal or do you put it in slowly. If your feeding in slowly, your gaining speed as you wait for the kick down making it fall out of the range.

The other reason could be that a kickdown takes a bit of time to happen and the tranny is probably programed not to becuase it would just waste it's time, where a bit of lag gets you moving just the same.

But of course lag is never fun.

Bland...

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bland said:
Do you hammer the pedal or do you put it in slowly. If your feeding in slowly, your gaining speed as you wait for the kick down making it fall out of the range.
Hammer. I don't think it's accelerating out of range before the downshift; the redline speed for 1st gear is over 40mph.

Turns out this is documented in the handbook, sort of, although wth reference to shifting the autobox manually. There is a little table showing speeds not to exceed when attempting to downshift manually, supposedly so as not to excessively rev the engine in the new gear. Yet they are well below the red line (28mph for first and 60mph for second). And when you accelerate from a lower speed the box is happy to whizz right past those so-called maximum speeds to the red line. Maybe for some reason the transmission is capable of driving *through* the high rev range but not making a downshift *into* the high rev range?

-- Steve

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some experiments and found that max speed at which it will kickdown to first gear was roughly 20mph (indicated). At which speed, in first, there's about 3500 rpm on the rev counter. So only about half way into first gear's usable range!

At least kickdown to second has a more aggressive threshhold; 2nd will engage at indicated speeds of up to 60mph, which is about 5000rpm in 2nd. That's more like it! I can believe that is a sensible cut off point for 2nd gear kickdown, but I'm really surprised at that of first.

Maybe somone else with the 4EAT (late direct control type) would be good enough to run a test and confirm if it's the same as mine, won't kick down to 1st above 20mph?

Thanks

-- Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts