Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 outback
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm close to closing a deal on a 2001 Forester S premium pack, sunroof, 115k miles. Dealer is down to $5400 and I believe will go lower. This is at a US make new car dealership and a used car this age is not what they want on their lot. It's been there a while.

Body is clean other than a grapefruit sized ding in the left rear bumper (not body). Underneath is very clean (spent most of its years down south below the snow-ice-salt latitudes). But the a/c comp will need work or replacing soon. My mechanic is doing my pre purchase inspection tomorrow. I especially want him to look for signs of a gasket leak starting, of course.

My immediate Q is about the suspension. How stiff is it supposed to be? Compared to my '97 Outback it is very hard. Going over a speed bump at any speed feels like a mule kick in the butt! No bouncing, so I don't think shocks are bad? Frankly, any kind of road roughness transmits directly into the driving feel. Very different from my Outback, or other Outback/Legacy's I've driven.

How normal is this suspension?
Any suggestions on other tests for it?

Thanks for any insight or thoughts. Very glad I found this forum.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Sounds normal to me. :smile:

I have both, and the Forester is definitely rougher than the Outback (even with the Outback's stiffer lift springs).

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
The Forester also has a shorter wheelbase than the Outback, so the ride will feel bumpier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts