Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a 1999 model Forester Limited (Australia) and want to get a second remote control. I have seen a few for sale on Ebay in the US and am wondering if anyone has got experience with getting another remote.

Also, the current keyless entry has not sound or visual feedback (i.e. lights flash or horn honk). Is there a way to get this working?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,828 Posts
Ah, another subject that got a lot of coverage on the old site.

There are a few different series of remotes, only some of which are interoperable. I don't think anybody has put together a complete analysis, even of the US models, and we all know that there are sometimes strange differences in components used in different national markets.

What we do know by experimentation is that the remotes used in the early 2000s that have two buttons of different size, either both gray or one blue and one orange, are interoperable with eachother. They can be found on eBay at a reasonable price. They are also interoperable with the more recent teardrop shaped ones, which have proven to be strongly disliked because the buttons are very sensitive and tend to trigger when contained in the pockets of tight bluejeans.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
bbottomley said:
What we do know by experimentation is that the remotes used in the early 2000s that have two buttons of different size, either both gray or one blue and one orange, are interoperable with eachother. They can be found on eBay at a reasonable price. They are also interoperable with the more recent teardrop shaped ones, which have proven to be strongly disliked because the buttons are very sensitive and tend to trigger when contained in the pockets of tight bluejeans.
That is exactly what I did with my 2005 Forester. I replaced the tear drop crappy remotes with the older blue/orange button remotes. I paid about $30 shipped for a pair of them on Ebay. They are 100x better and I no longer active the panic alarm when I neal down and have the keys in my pocket.

They should work with any model Forester and only take minutes to program.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bbottomley said:
Ah, another subject that got a lot of coverage on the old site.
Where is this old site and/or the place where this topic was covered?

There are a few different series of remotes, only some of which are interoperable. I don't think anybody has put together a complete analysis, even of the US models, and we all know that there are sometimes strange differences in components used in different national markets.
Check out this site: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html. However, I am sure this is a US site, since my remote does neither work as described, look like any of them on the site nor does the car give any audio/visual feedback as described on the site. So I think it would be applicable to US Foresters???

Well, there is the problem, mine is a 1999 model. From reading the site I suspect my system may be a Code Alarm System type remote (even though I have no alarm), whereas the ones I could buy are the Alpine systems. :cry:

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,828 Posts
"The old site" is subaruforester.com, which went away in some sort of cybersquatting coup over the holidays. It basically comprised the same set of great folks who are now congregating here, but with a well stocked achive of useful information developed over the years, which we are now trying to recreate here.

Thanks for the link to cars101.com. It's a good site, and I've been there before. But they seem to have missed the fact that the teardrop remotes can be replaced by the earlier ones.

I'm not surprised that there are national differences in remotes, since they involve use of the radio frequencies, which are customarily a matter of national interest and regulation.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha, that's the answer

How to find:
Call up your local wreckers until you find one. May take a while, but someone would keep them ( I found one after all). Cost about 30 Australian Dollars used from a wrecker, cost new 285 Australian Dollars from the Dealership plus 30 Aus Dollars reprogramming.

How to program:
1. Undo the plastic door sill protector (driver door with right hand drive model)
2. Undo the trianglish plastic plate at the front of the sill protector, right to your gas pedal just at the lower front corner of the doorframe
3. Hidden under the plate are two cable ends with plastic plugs, possibly clear/whitish. Connect (doesn’t matter whether the window is up or down, the door closed or shut, or the key in ignition or not)
4. Press “Lock” on the working remote, then immediately afterwards “Lock” on the new one. Then press “Open” with the working remote and straight afterwards “Open” with the new one. That's it.
5. Don't forget to undo the cables again and re-assemble your car ;o).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts