Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Car - 01 Foz S Prem

Like many of the older SF drivers i only have two options when it comes to my oem factory keyless entry.

Either it beeps or you can make it totally inaudible.

Being a driver of newer subes as well i like the chirp and light flash of the newer cars instead of using the horn. Its less annoying and still softly indicates that the doors are locked and is much more audible then trying to listen for the power lock motors or watching for the interior light.

Here's what im thinking.

The Keyless entry module activates the horn relay somehow in order to signal the doors being locked or unlocked.

If i found that interaction point and disconnected it from the horn relay and instead ran the wire from there to the front and installed an oem chirp maker and then to ground, this would in theory get rid of having the horn blast.

another step would be do the same momentarily activate the hazards as well, this along with the chrip IMO would be 100% better than the horn.

I am trying to find the diagrams currently but if anyone has tried this before let me know your experiences.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it doesnt say how to go back and forth on the older key fobs but my wrx fob says the combo.

Near the car

you push unlock three times in a row and then hold down the lock and unlock button for two seconds, this toggles you back and forth between audible and inaudible.

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
try the above combo on your key fob when your near your foz, i dont know what was available when but if you have a fob there usually is a sound option

·
Road Warrior
1995 Legacy L SW 5 speed manual
412 Posts
I my 99 S I have the factory keyless entry plus the additional factory security system upgrade. With this upgrade when I arm and disarm (lock/unlock) my car the siren for the alarm chirps to let me know that has taken place.

I have an additional factory security system upgrade parts package for sale on the for sale section of this forum for $50.00 PayPalled and shipped.

With which I include a complete installation guide and some cool instructions of how to customize how your system to your likes. Both the instructions and installation guide have a wiring diagram with pinouts. It shows were the siren hooks up, but I am not sure if you could just had a siren or chirper to the keyless module without the security upgrade and the siren would work.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L Automagical
315 Posts
Paul-I am interested in doing the same mod you have talked about. Living in a residential area and locking and unlocking the car is probably not helping with neighbor relations.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,900 Posts
One general warning - Before swapping anything connected to the output of a sealed module (like the keyless entry controller), measure the current that is consumed by the stock load and be sure that the new load does not exceed that current. We don't know the actual drive capacity of these things, and they aren't cheap to replace. There have been reports here of this sort of module getting fried due to overload.

·
Registered
99 forester s
9 Posts
Okay, I am new here. But I have had a 98 outback in the recent past. I installed the security upgrade on it, it was majorly easy. This was back in 07. During my search for the security system, I ran across a site that had the dip switch settings *inside* the module. you can take it apart and hard set the settings.

One of the dips was for audible horn on arm/disarm. That is for the legacy version of the system, I do not know if it the same p/n for the forester, but there might be something similar going on.

I'll try to dig up the info, I thought it was blackraven... but it wasn't. It's on Subaru alarm project, or at scoobymods (search silent arming) I do not have link privileges yet from my post count...

Also, I am in the search for a security upgrade for my 99 forester.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts