Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have been doing some googling and such looking for installable keyless entry systems for 98/99 Foresters without much luck. has anyone installed one or know where to look?

Thanks

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
They have them, look here for some general info:

http://www.randomsoup.com/subie/

Maybe one of the vendors can help with a PN. Did you get the car new? It's possible it has it but you just don't have the key fobs. Check to see if there is the main module unit by the fuse box.

I've got this but I'm not sure what year it's for:

Edit, also found some info in an old tec manual w/ PN's

Attachments

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
We have OEM part vendors here too in the vendor section :)

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
Hopping on the band wagon here in the hope that someone has an answer...
I have a 2001 forester s-turbo, I changed the battery in the remote keyfob (european spec with the key integrated) and now nothing... I presume it needs reprogramming... any ideas apart from going to the local sub dealer and paying through the nose?
Thanks
Simon

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,064 Posts
The first place to look is eBay, and the rule of thumb is that if it looks like yours it will probably work like yours. And if it has the same FCC number as yours, that's even better. eBay prices on remotes for older Foresters tend to run around $10 or maybe less. A quick look at vendor sites shows >$40.

Remotes vary significantly by national markets since they use the radio frequency spectrum and hence are subject to much tighter regulation than other components. It will help us give you the best info if you show your location and car type in your profile and signature. Click User CP at the top of any page to set these up.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Mine looks like this,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&rd=1

Apart from that I just spoke the local dealer and they say that it isn't possible that the thing needs reprogramming but that I may have put the battery in the wrong way round...

The only thing I'm worried about now is the reliability of the key before the battery change, it was a bit erratic with the old battery. But we'll see about that once I've re-registered it.

Once again thanks for all the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Telemarker74 said:
Mine looks like this,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&rd=1

Apart from that I just spoke the local dealer and they say that it isn't possible that the thing needs reprogramming but that I may have put the battery in the wrong way round...

The only thing I'm worried about now is the reliability of the key before the battery change, it was a bit erratic with the old battery. But we'll see about that once I've re-registered it.

Once again thanks for all the help and suggestions.
There should be a section in your owner's manual about your keyless entry system. You can reauthorize your key fobs yourself (I can't recall the exact procedure, but I can look it up if no one else knows it). You have to cycle the key from lock to on and back or something...

Just be sure to do it somewhere that's isolated from other keyless entry systems so you don't authorize someone else's fob.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I'd be interested to see that, as the European manual stops at changing the battery... but then there may be differences in the systems used over the pond.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts