Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 forester. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. The steering wheel isn’t locked. I turn off the key, take the key out of the ignition not touching the steering wheel or nothing. I go to get in car insert the key and it goes to ACC then won’t turn to on or start. I’ve moved my steering wheel some and still nothing. I even take the key out and lock the steering wheel by turning it to where it locks then I can get it to move then. What am I doing wrong. This happened off and on now it’s more frequently and frustrating ugh. There has to be something I’m doing :yell::surprise:

·
Registered
2017 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ignition locks

I have posted in here before for the same issue. I know that subaru has a built in safety feature so that cars can’t be stolen. But as soon as I put my key in the ignition it won’t budge. My actual steering wheel isn’t locked, it moves freely. I don’t touch the steering wheel when I take out or put in the key but it still won’t budge. Am I doing something wrong? This is annoying as ever. Sometimes I pull the key out and move the steering wheel to lock just so I can get it to move! 😡😝..

Any advice in what I am doing wrong? Help

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
840 Posts
I don’t think that you’re doing anything wrong. Sound like the key lock is damaged or frozen.
Have you tried using a little graphite powder made for locks?

You may have to take it to Subaru dealership. Are you still under warranty?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
653 Posts
Maybe the car doesn't think it's in Park? Try using the emergency gear release to move the car into Neutral and the back into Park and starting it. Or maybe it's related to the brake switch TSB? Not sure if your year is affected, but if the car doesn't detect the brake being pressed I don't think it will start (my push button start is like this).

·
Registered
2017 Forrester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. Took it to the dealership in which they ordered a new ignition switch and replaced the whole cyclinder with new keys the works. STILL it’s not moving smoothly when I go to turn on the ignition. It’s a hit and miss. I am getting some shavings on the key some. What is the problem?. Could it be in the column of the steering? I have a option to order another ignition switch. This is making me MAD..

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,295 Posts
^^^^What Kevin said.

If that doesn't produce results, you can open a ticket with Subaru's customer service.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts