Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X 5MT & 2008 Impreza WRX 5MT & 2009 Impreza 2.5i 5MT
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Forester 2.5X and the key will lock the door but won't unlock the driver's door. I do have a FOB and it does work to lock and unlock the door. Would the FOB still work to unlock the door if a rod has come disconnected behind the inside door panel?

I'm not really sure what I'm trying to ask here.

I just want to have a backup plan in case the FOB fails.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,245 Posts
@greengoblin68 I'm going to guess yes. The key would be linked mechanically, whereas the fob operates the lock motor... Subaru calls it a Door Lock Actuator. I'll have to look thru the service documents to verify this. :confused:

It's possible that the lock linkage is loose, works for locking, but too loose to unlock. Take a look at the key lock cylinder replacement & door lock assembly diagrams below.

If you decide to pull off the door card, you might want to look thru this thread first: :icon_eek:

door lock and window control wiring question (merged thread)

The fobs are inexpensive & easy to program, so you might consider getting a spare. You could also upgrade to a key/fob. Take a look at this write up in my son's '03 X Member Journal: :wink:

An Integrated Key Fob for Alex's '03 X!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bobby, thank you for the suggestions. The easiest thing to do would be to buy a backup key fob, but I worry if the fob or car battery fails then i would have no way to get in the car.

If the car battery failed can the car hood be opened from the outside of the car? Also the fob upgrade sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure how the key on the right side in the attached photo has an advantage over the original key fob on the left in the attached photo?

Attachments

·
Administrator
41,245 Posts
It's less bulky, if you carry it in your pocket, as we do. Just the integrated key fob + the zipper pull goes one pant pocket. No key ring, just that. Our key ring with other keys goes in the another pant pocket. This prevent damaging the fob. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just realized or I should have added to my original post that the key will not turn to the left, not even a little. It will turn to the right to unlock, but not to the left. So I was thinking that if the rod had somehow come undone wouldn't the key / tumbler turn to the left freely without resistance? Just wondering if something is stuck or jammed?

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Premium 4 EAT w dif lock
10 Posts
'morning,

This is just a curiosity question. The comment was made that if the fob or car battery fail, there's no way to get into the car. It's certainly less convenient, but do you have key locks on any of the other doors? My '02 has them on both front doors and the rear hatch.

That's actually a feature that I look for, because I despise the fobs and never carry one, while there is a spare key in my wallet in case I lock myself out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is only key access on the driver's front door. No other doors including the rear hatch have a place to insert a key.

·
Administrator
41,245 Posts
I just realized or I should have added to my original post that the key will not turn to the left, not even a little. It will turn to the right to unlock, but not to the left. So I was thinking that if the rod had somehow come undone wouldn't the key / tumbler turn to the left freely without resistance? Just wondering if something is stuck or jammed?
If the rod had come loose, the lock cylinder would not be connected to the door latch, so it would not lock or unlock. The problem appears to be in "lock cylinder" or the "door latch", see the diagram I attached previously.

I'm assuming you tried different keys & flooded the lock cylinder with graphited lock fluid... like Lock-Ease, just in case it seized on the unlock side? :confused:

Bobby...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have tried different keys. I ordered a second FOB because I only have one FOB at the moment. I have not flooded the lock cylinder with lock fluid because I figured if it would turn one way but not the other way that lock fluid or WD40 would do no good. I'm debating on removing the inside door panel, but I will probably hit the lock cylinder with lock fluid first and then remove the inside door panel as a last resort.

·
Administrator
41,245 Posts
@greengoblin68 I'm not a fan of WD40! I used it way back & had it gum up on me! I never used that stuff again! :mad:

I use PB Blaster lubricants, but for locks, even as a fastener assembly lubricant, I use Lock-Ease. If you've had any machining work done, the smell of the Lock-Ease solvent will be familiar! :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I'm a big fan of PB Blaster. I have some on hand. Should I just squirt some PB Blaster in the tumbler area where you insert the key or somewhere else?

·
Administrator
41,245 Posts
I personally would not use anything other than Lock-Ease in my locks, so this is the procedure for using Lock-Ease. What you decide to use is up to you. :wink:

You would spray or squirt Lock-Ease directly into the lock cylinder, then insert the key & work it around to see if it frees up the mechanism.

The Lock-Ease solvent will dissipate, leaving a protective film. When the solvent is present, the key will get coated with graphite, so take care not to get it on your clothes!

Bobby...

Reactions: greengoblin68
1 - 12 of 12 Posts