Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Jeep CRD
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched around and can't find an answer specific to my problem with the key.

I just got this car delivered to me and it came sans FOB... no problem, right? Well, it also turns out the key is stuck in the ignition so I head over to the dealership and pick up a remote.

I then follow the instructions for programming the FOB but since the key won't come out I can't get it into the lock position... which means I can't program the remote or get the key out... sweet.

The car is now tucked into the garage so I can keep it ;)

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports
607 Posts
I searched around and can't find an answer specific to my problem with the key.

I just got this car delivered to me and it came sans FOB... no problem, right? Well, it also turns out the key is stuck in the ignition so I head over to the dealership and pick up a remote.

I then follow the instructions for programming the FOB but since the key won't come out I can't get it into the lock position... which means I can't program the remote or get the key out... sweet.

The car is now tucked into the garage so I can keep it ;)
dealer didnt give advice or try to remove the key?

also have you called a locksmith ?

(steering wheel is not in locked position right?)

·
Registered
2005 Jeep CRD
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't ask the dealer... he said he'd charge me $80 to program the FOB so I didn't think to ask...

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
Hi Jeremiah! :smile:

Sounds like the shift lock is engaged maybe? There is a little tab on the auto shifter console that you can lift up with a flathead screwdriver to manually release the shift lock.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Not sure on the 04's but I believe you can remove the lower steering column cover and there is a key release lever. Also check that the console around the shifter is in place properly. If someone was detailing the car before it was delivered and had the cover off to clean (did this on the 99), it may be causing the shift lock to not fully engage (release?). You might want to remove the console and see if when putting it into park the key comes out. Does the car start easily? I guess no manual came with your 04 FXT. Anyone with an 04-05 FXT manual want to check and see if there is a key release? Hope someone else has some suggestions for you.

·
Registered
2005 Jeep CRD
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jeremiah! :smile:

Sounds like the shift lock is engaged maybe? There is a little tab on the auto shifter console that you can lift up with a flathead screwdriver to manually release the shift lock.
Hey there!

I didn't notice that I had responses... I'm heading out to the garage in a minute to see if this works or if steering cover has been messed with... the car was recently detailed (before it was put on a truck for 12 days!).

·
Registered
2005 Jeep CRD
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it!

It turned out to be the lock under the steering cover.

Now we need to program the FOB...

·
Registered
2005 Jeep CRD
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, well... got the FOB programmed after numerous attempts... turns out that the guy I got the car from had no FOB, got the car detailed and then we he picked it up the security light was flashing. No biggie, right?

So, I couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to program the remote and finally discovered that he had pulled the fuse for the horn/hazards (which also weren't working). Put the fuse back in and everything works perfectly!

Sweet!

·
Registered
2005 Jeep CRD
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sent it to Santa Cruz with a family member... I'm stuck at work all day. He just called me from the coast (almost in Santa Cruz now) and said the drive was great! It's his first time driving an FXT and now he "gets it"!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts