Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
SG forester 2.0x
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help.
After pulling in and filling up at a petrol station yesterday my key wouldn't restart the car. A 52reg (new shape) 2.0x. After getting the spare, a lot of trouble, I was off again. New battery in the fob today and it still doesn't work.Apparently in the cars paperwork there should be instructions how to reprogram the key along with the alarms pin number. I know it involves dropping down the keypad on the drivers side.
I have the pin number but can't find any instructions for the Cat 1 Alarm System.
Can anybody help with maybe a photo copy of the instructions.

·
Registered
SG forester 2.0x
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I did some searching and indeed some key in the ignition twiddling. My system is not Sigma although the fob is a square one with a single button. Mine is Thatcham Cat. One.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
'Thatcham cat1' is not a brand! Its a standard achieved by many alarm/immobiliser systems.

All Uk supplied Subaru's are fitted with the Sigma M30 (Thatcham cat1 compliant) system fitted, if yours does not, its either been changed or is not a UK spec car.

If yours doesn't have a Sigma alarm, then we need to know what brand it is, but in all likelyhood we won't know its specifics and won't be able to help.

Simon

·
Registered
SG forester 2.0x
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great stuff Rookie. I have found M30 in the paperwork. The PIN sticker refers to system operating instructions S/N081200099-17C1148.

Does this help? The fob is a single button with lock/unlock written to its right side.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
OK I'm not in the UK so don't have access to either the Subaru instructions or the Sigma ones I have.

The fobs come in various forms, but yes most are single button.

If a new battery doesn't work it sounds like the fob has failed as it should work straight away with a new battery, its possible its lost its paring though, try using the instructions in the other thread and pairing all the fobs again, you'll tell then if the fob is OK or not.

Simon

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
I have the instructions for the Cat 1 alarm system, and there's nothing in there about reprogramming the key fob.

The PIN number is used to arm/disarm the car without the key (using the keypad). You can also use the keypad to change the PIN and the way that the security system operates.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Maybe (depending what exacrlt you mean), but the fobs are paired to the alarm - otherwise every sigma fob would open every sigma car!

Simon

·
Registered
SG forester 2.0x
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Rookie for your input and a special big thanks to Mike D for the instructions sent. Two fobs back in action. May be worth noting fob battery changes as Sigma recommend changing them yearly. Maybe mine lost its mind because of the flat battery.
Thanks chaps.

G

·
Is the programming of the fobs different in the owners manual to the instructions I put up for download?
Would be nice to know for future reference..

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Is the programming of the fobs different in the owners manual to the instructions I put up for download?
Would be nice to know for future reference..
My book says "Eighth Edition (October 2003), Sigma 2003, 04 Imp/For/Leg"

In the table of features, Buttons 1, 3, 6 & 7 are "for future use".

The programming instructions are the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts