Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My octogenarian friend has a problem with her key (see attached; 'contains battery' printed thereon). It no longer works (to lock/unlock) though her non-battery version does. As its battery has probably never been changed, it would be worth doing that, but I wonder what its purpose is, given that the non-battery version works, and that it has no remote-control buttons*. The 1st problem though, is I can't see how to open it up.
Grateful for advice on both questions.
Thanks,
Jim

*rather vague whether she ever had a remote-locking key

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
OK, just simple wear on the key could account for not opening the car. This is one good reason to always have one car key that's never been used:to act as a master for making new keys.

Are you real sure there's a battery inside? One key for my 1987 Subaru had a battery and a really neat little flashlight to make finding the key hole easy at night. It did, however, have a button. Unless the thumb depression acts as a button.

Might I suggest a visit to your local dealer with both keys and the VIN to see what they suggest? Or at the very least a search of the owners manual for enlightenment.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S AT
972 Posts
That indent in the bottom of the "V" shape should allow space for a small screwdriver. Light downward pressure, and push away from the key portion should pop the cover off.

Are there buttons on the other side? Other than early keyless entry key/fob combo, I'm not sure what the battery would be used for. Mine never came with that one.

Either that key doesn't go to the car she thought it did (I have a bucket full of old keys and I'm less than half her age ;) ), OR as WR Moore said, it is so worn out it doesn't engage the pins in the tumbler. I would get a new key cut (~$1.25) based off the key that works, to be safe.

·
Registered
1998 Forester manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses.
Macro image attached, to confirm.
Had asked Subaru mechanics, to no avail.
Tried pressing suggestion (with more zeal, from that), but also no-go.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts