Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it only took 6 months from start to finish, but here it is: my 2004 Forester XT Limited w/4EAT, with a whole lot of STi added in.

Mods are mostly just OEM STi bits, with a few aftermarket goodies thrown in here and there.

Powertrain:
EJ257 rods/pistons
Cosworth bearings
VF39, ported/polished/ceramic coated
STi TMIC
APS uppipe
Vishnu Signature Series turboback (actually it's the original prototype)
Agency Power turbo inlet hose
KSTech TGV deletes
KSTech phenolic intake manifold spacers
Grimmspeed AOS
Group N engine mounts

coming soon:
STi IC splitter
KSTech intake
tune by [email protected]
switch to catted bellmouth downpipe and Stromung dual tip exhaust
STi radiator
transmission oil cooler
4.44 R180 rear w/ Cusco LSD

Handling:

18x8 OZ Ultraleggeras with 245/40R18 Bridgestone RE-01R (summer)
2004 STi BBS painted satin black with TBD 235/50R17 snows (winter)
2004 STi springs and struts, disassembled and re-greased. Clunk-free.
Whiteline FSB, 20mm FHI RSB, stock endlinks.
STi titanium strut brace
front STi Brembos
Goodridge SS lines F&R

Interior:

Pioneer AVIC-X710BT GPS receiver in dash-top pod w/reverse camera
STi Genome Defi gauges- boost, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp plus standard Defi EGT
custom cardboard gauge plate in HVAC console, soon to be brushed aluminum
STi floor mats

Still needs a thorough detail and waxing, and the motor only has about 45 miles on it. Later this week we're packing up the dogs and going camping with it, so more pics to follow.

·
Registered
hey mom, can i
100 Posts
it sits really nice with the sti strusts. im excited to get my fozy now and put it on my sti struts. good looking car tho.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! When I was parts-gathering I considered switching to a Whiteline ALK bushing, saggy-butt spacers and removing the front subframe spacers, but it turned out great without them. I even have tons of tire clearance for more camber and/or taller tires if I wanted them, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a simple STi strut swap to the guys who want to autocross or track their Fozzies. I could easily get -2 degrees camber front and more rear if I wanted it, and that's without camber plates.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTI LTD SG9 2007 STI 6 speed, HP Techs-MPS SSLR 2.5, Junior Tuned, 573 WHP/ 500 WTQ
555 Posts
And in this post I'll detail how I made an R180 and rear Brembos play nice with the 4EAT. No rocket science or corporate secrets here, I just haven't seen it done yet.
Kevin,

I noticed that you have or are going to obtain a 4.44/1 R180 rear diff.. Did you or are you going to change out the final drive in the front differential to 4.44/1?

Isn't the FXT 4EAT 4.11/1? Just curious, if it all works out that should go like stink with the auto and be more durable to boot.

Allan

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTI LTD SG9 2007 STI 6 speed, HP Techs-MPS SSLR 2.5, Junior Tuned, 573 WHP/ 500 WTQ
555 Posts
Thanks! When I was parts-gathering I considered switching to a Whiteline ALK bushing, saggy-butt spacers and removing the front subframe spacers, but it turned out great without them. I even have tons of tire clearance for more camber and/or taller tires if I wanted them, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a simple STi strut swap to the guys who want to autocross or track their Fozzies. I could easily get -2 degrees camber front and more rear if I wanted it, and that's without camber plates.
It does look good with the STI struts! I do like the 245/40 tires. I may go to 245/40 or 45 on my next set of summer tires.

I would recommend the RCA313 roll center kit and you don't need the ALK kit, the ALK kit was designed from the Forester RCA mount. You could use the RCA375 offset caster bushings in the rear mount on the front control arms. Both of these mods help with turn in, reduce under-steer, reduce bump steer and increase tracking back to center. I have done them on my rig and it's amazing to feel the difference. The front grip feels huge with these mods, you can bring the tail around at will with sharp turn in and a little throttle.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kevin,

I noticed that you have or are going to obtain a 4.44/1 R180 rear diff.. Did you or are you going to change out the final drive in the front differential to 4.44/1?

Isn't the FXT 4EAT 4.11/1? Just curious, if it all works out that should go like stink with the auto and be more durable to boot.

Allan
According to Joe of cars101.com it's 4.44, but I'll check it before the R180 goes in. I really want to do the basic trans upgrades (TC, valve body) but I won't ever really be able to justify the cost, let alone actually have the cash in hand for several years. Besides, a built 4EAT will just lead to a huge turbo and a bunch of money spent turning 10s. :lol:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does look good with the STI struts! I do like the 245/40 tires. I may go to 245/40 or 45 on my next set of summer tires.

I would recommend the RCA313 roll center kit and you don't need the ALK kit, the ALK kit was designed from the Forester RCA mount. You could use the RCA375 offset caster bushings in the rear mount on the front control arms. Both of these mods help with turn in, reduce under-steer, reduce bump steer and increase tracking back to center. I have done them on my rig and it's amazing to feel the difference. The front grip feels huge with these mods, you can bring the tail around at will with sharp turn in and a little throttle.
Thanks for the love on the stance. I actually have an Impreza Whiteline RCA313 kit here, but it's still on a set of GC control arms. I'll talk to my mechanic buddy and see if he can pull them off without damaging the boots and if so, I'll get them on the FXTi. Maybe I'll grab some GD STi LCAs first. I have the rears, and I'd like to get the STi steering rack at some point too. My goal eventually is every possible STi conversion part... except the 6MT. :huh:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know, I know... still haven't detailed the car, and with classes starting yesterday, who knows when I can get to it. I think the strategy is to just let it get really dirty and stay that way through the winter. :lol:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn, almost 2 years with no updates! I'll fix that. This weekend the winter wheels/tires are coming off so I'll get some pics up. I went back to stock springs on KYB GR2s after getting sick of the stiff-*** STi rde... and sick of my wife being sick of it! She now has a better DD than me though, so I have some STi Pink wagon springs waiting for me to re-acquire appropriate struts to re-lower the car.

·
Registered
2004 XT 2EATU
221 Posts
Dude did the R180 + Cusco rear LSD ever make it into the 4eat?

I want details!!! epic build!!:evilatyou:

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Premium 5MT
36 Posts
Nice setup sir!! What kind of small business startup?? I sold my M3 and bought my FXT to finance my small business startup! ha

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For sale bump! I've partially put it back to stock, but I still have everything from this thread except the 18" wheels. For $9500 (which is less than KBB private party price) I'll put the mods back on, and for local buyers include a limited warranty and 12 months of maintenance!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts