Write-ups:
How To: Change the engine oil in a 2.5L XT
How To: Change sidemarker bulbs on 03-05 Forester

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Figured I'd start from the beginning while it still was the beginning. I'm fairly new to the Subaru world, as this will be my first one. I come from over a decade of owning, modding, wheeling, and driving Toyota Tacomas. Then one day I saw a forester that i could not stop thinking about on the way to snowshoe, WV. I did a little research and was shocked to find there was a forester model that came turbo charged, had awd, and still kept a very streetable/daily driver feel - the XT. This would continue to consume my thoughts until yesterday June 21, 2010. The longest day of 2010. The day I became the proud owner of a 2004 Subaru Forester XT Premium.

So enough of that....I've got slow, long drawn out, and big plans for my new girl. I hope to keep this thread updated with all of the changes and faces my FXT will put on over the future.

I'll start things off with a pic from the test drive

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So last night I tried my hand at the snorkus removal mod and accomplished that in about 5 minutes. Was fairly let down as to how simply and lackluster the mod actually was. I'll most likely put that back on tonight. I had no butt dyno increase, no cool noises, didn't even get dirt in my eye while i was under there.

I am currently having an idle problem. She'll idle okay sometimes but other times she idles rough and dies. I cleaned the MAF last night and reset the ECU so we'll see if it clears up over the next few days.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yakima Doubledown 4 bike carrier

Very important accessory added this evening - I previously carried bikes around in the bed of my truck with a homemade rack system generally once a week, so this purchase was very important to me. I found it on sale at a local sporting goods store for dirt cheap and grabbed it up. Carries 4 bikes so it's a little big but will definitely get the job done!

Oh and if anyone tries to take advantage of my license plate go ahead...it's not registered to anything :p

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
JDM STi hoodscoop

New addition! :woohoo:

Will have to be painted Sierra Gold Metallic but luckily I have a long time family friend who owns a world class hot-rod body shop. Next on the list is a rear spoiler.

Took this picture from the sale ad, but i'll post up pics when it arrives next week. Thanks pattylicous!

7/23/2010 - Spoke with my paint guy earlier today. He's worried about it being plastic and already having a paint job on it. Said we can sand, prime, and paint over it but it very well could start to peel off in a few years. (lame)

Well it's definitely no show car so i'll just get it over and done with. He's going to let me do most of the work myself to keep the cost down. 75 bucks for a pint of Sierra Gold....freakin made of real gold.

7/28/2010 - There is a package on my front porch waiting on me! Oh the excitement! Updated with pics later.

Later's update pic:

8/14/2010 - Decided to paint the sucker myself with the help of a friend. Prepping to paint the JDM scoop today:

Was PSM. I used some 500grit sandpaper and ran over the entire painted surface until the shiny was no longer shiny. I also had to take out the orange peel and a run on one side. Should be covered in Sierra Gold tomorrow! Stoked to finalize this project and move on!

8/15/2010 - Painting done, waiting on clear:

Before:

After:

JDM STi scoop - completed

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
You should have yoru mirrors, rear hatch trim & the plastic trim beteen the rear windows color matched.

joe r

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Amber sidemarkers and fog-light mod

Today I put in amber sidemarker bulbs, killed the DRLs and did the fog light mod to run with parking lights. Quite a bit better looking in my opinion! I was fearing these mods but knew I really wanted it done. To my surprise, it turned out to be rather simple and fast!

I did a write up on the amber sidemarker bulb switch: here
And you can find the write-up on the fog light mod: here

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
TurboXS WRX/STi axleback

Picked up a very nice 1st gen WRX Turboxs/Magnaflow axleback tonight.

Waiting on extra long hangers to come in tomorrow at Advanced Auto - PN 35719 (same as NAPA)

It didn't even come close to working with the stock hangers and OEM hitch. It's also pretty short and heating up the plastic bumper so I really need it to drop down a bit. I hope that will alleviate my problems.

Try to get some pics/audio tomorrow or this weekend once the hangers are on.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Received my vag-com cable last week and have been doing quite a bit of logging. My engine was not very happy with the intake and exhaust changes, or so the numbers said. I put everything back to stock and it seems to run much better actually...which is scary. Will be looking into this.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 4EAT
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
OEM Subaru Spoiler Add-on

8/16/2010 - Sierra Gold rear spoiler on it's way from SubaruOnlineParts.com

Update: well they apparently aren't really selling them, just pretending to sell them so this is on the back burner for now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts