81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #81

·
Registered
841 Posts
.....but what was really weird was when I took off the driver's side one a screw fell out! Like, this square bit wood screw! :huh: No idea how that got between the heat shield and header pipe that's never been touched. If that screw could talk.
I might have an explanation for that screw! A lot of people hammer screws like the one you found between the heat shield and exhaust to stop the heat shield rattling. It probably then fell into the gap between the two when you took stuff apart. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Ordered an OEM bumper cover/guard over the winter and it was warm enough to install today.

Covered up some of the scratches from the previous owner - and added my touch to it.

Only 4 more things I wanna do to him and then nothing else in mind (3 minor things and 1 big ticket item). Car's almost 'done', never 'finished' a car before, should be interesting.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
With @2.5x_sleeper 's help finding the right wire (BrY :wink2: ), got my back up camera working today!

Did some work last week and the rest today. I didn't want to install the camera on the hatch and run wire through it. Wanted to mount it to the tow hitch but would've been too far back. It's mounted through the bumper into metal with set screws and drilled a hole at the back of the spare tire well to run the wires through. The tow hitch also 'protects' it from the front. Tapped into the power and ground going to the rear power outlet; which is also only on when the key's in.

Never had the spare tire out of the car before. Found a completely intact seashell and a bookmark to a bookstore in Victoria :|

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
Nifty addition to your Forester! :cool:

Never had the spare tire out of the car before. Found a completely intact seashell and a bookmark to a bookstore in Victoria
My '07 started it's life in California near the beach, so I still find "sand" in the nooks & crannies! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
On the list was changing the colour of a few panels. I decided to try something new and different: vinyl wrap. Well, it didn't turn out so good. It didn't even last the night. Came out the next morning to this:

Not sure if I was completed sold on the colour once it was actually on the car. After 3 hours of cutting and installing, every came off in about 1.5 minutes.

Back to plan A, found a nice colour paint that's available off the shelf; don't have to special order if I ever need more.

MUCH better...

I didn't wanna do an exact paint-match. Wanted something a little different then the factory green but still pops out. Really loving how it turned out, picked out the just the right colour with the g/f. The plan is to work my way forward, doing the C-pillars, B-pillars and mirrors...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Did the B and C pillars today, I'm liking it!

The mirrors will be sometime next week as they're significantly more intricate.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
While it was all drying, the trim paint I did on the front grill didn't last too long and was flaking off. Decided to black out the front grill with semi-gloss bumper paint. Don't know why I didn't do this soonerr!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Installed some side markers/turn signals last night.

I liked how my first Forester had signals in the mirrors, but replacing my mirrors with 06-08’s would’ve been costly and still not sure if mine’s pre-wired for them, etc.

So after some searching decided to go with a pair of smoke side markers intended for a GC/RS as they're more easily priced & found, and still a 'Subaru' part. Universal, aftermarket ones weren't appealing to me and JDM ones were harder to find and at a price-point that didn't justify a daily driver. Went with smoked ones to match the headlights and other darkness on the car.

Made a template out of cereal box based on the fender holes in my RS, but made the template slightly smaller on purpose. Although it added quite a bit more time and work cutting the holes out, I'd rather start off with a hole that's too small and go bigger than vice versa.

Started on the driver’s side: this one took about 1.5 hrs to size right, but I did it with the template still taped to the fender, so the passenger side took a fraction of the time.

Still rough and not done in this shot, filed everything smooth after cutting and they both snap in very tightly. Covered up the cut-into surfaces with touch up paint and ran a bead of clear silicone between the lights’ gasket and fender to boot. I ran wired up above the fender liner and tapped into the headlights’ turn signals. Running my favorite seller’s LED’s in them too.

There’s only one spot flat enough for these which is why I believe Subaru puts them there from factory.

Took over 3 hours, and my face my grey afterwards, but they’re in and they work! I was actually slowly collecting parts for over half a year, waiting to have ideal weather for the project. I also replaced all the front grill clips as I noticed a few were broken since I bought the car. It’s actually tricky getting the grill in with fresh clips! haha

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
To paint the hatch molding I had to take off the S U B A R U emblem and wasn't planning on putting the original back on. I ordered one intended for an 08-13, if I was going to put anything back on.

My g/f said something looked a bit off with an emblem there when she was driving behind me, so stuck it on now that the paint's had a good time to dry and cure in the heat wave we're currently having here...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Had something interesting happen over the weekend.

The door handle always felt a bit loose since I bought the car, but not loose enough to be a concern. A slight twist sometimes, and nothing more. I've even been opening it with my thumb pushing on the non-handle part to prevent any movement. Why the bolt was enough loose to begin with I'm not sure. Possibly just from use cause the driver's door's opened the most, or part of me thinks from an improper install from when the left, front corner was rebuilt from a previous accident (before my ownership). Maybe the handle had to come out to blend the door and not tightened back up all the way.

Well, it seems this held off the issue as long as it could and the handle popped out on me. Luckily the bolt fell out in the door; took me longer to fish out the bolt then anything else. All fixed now and the handle's never been stiffer; like brand new.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
FREEBIE!

Something that I didn't think of getting til recently and got my hands on one for free! Took it apart to make sure the nuts and bolts came free and for cleaning. It's a brand called Freedom Design that I've never heard of and appears to be defunct. Was told it came out of a wrecked STI between '02 and '07.

Cleaned, painted and installed

All my previous vehicles I've always added a strut bar cause it's just a cheap mod. Did they make a difference in any of them? They did on the ones that had previous front end damage - and Kermy had an incident under the previous owner unfortunately.

No test drives yet. Am curious to see if there's difference tomorrow...

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
No test drives yet. Am curious to see if there's difference tomorrow...
Bit of a delay following up, have been driving around since. I've probably noticed a... 5%? increase/improvement in handling? The steering wheel does give a bit of a more firmer feedback feel.

One this I forget to mention was I got a bit freaked out when I went to install the bar. I got ready to break the top shock nuts free and nearly punched the windshield. All 3 nuts on both shocks came undone by hand! :surprise: Part of me's curious if the seemingly handling improvement is from the bar or that I regained what was lost with not-tight shock nuts. Oh well, I definitely was meant to come across this bar to fix that issue before something happened. One of those things I didn't think needed checking when I bought the car and never heard any jiggling noise nor felt anything...

81 - 100 of 108 Posts