Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Step 5:

I got my spoiler painted so had my scoop done at the same time at a bodyshop.

* Before dropping off the scoop at the bodyshop, I painted the underside of it with bumper black as it had faded a bit grey over the years.

Step 6:

Mounted the cardboard template to the hood with the painter's tape. I wanted it in the factory location (or as close to it), which from photos and my Impreza, looks like it lands the scoop about an inch from the washer nozzles. Hood scoop on the Impreza is about 6" from the back edge of the hood, went with that

I used painter's tape rather than masking tape, it won't wreck your paint or leave glue behind. Lined up your template where the scoop is going to land, not where the edges of your template lands.

Step 7:

Here's where I didn't get to take many 'during' photos. @AusCan came by to lend a hand, and there may or may not have been beer involved.

I decided to completely remove the under-hood insulation the night before and covered the engine in a garbage bag. I drilled the bolt holes with a regular drill, but only used the weight of the drill and not push down. Didn't want to put dimples in the hood. First small pilot holes then the final bit for the bolts.

First we cust the topsheet out; took about an hour. We managed to pry the topsheet off the skeleton, it was only held together with that black tack/glue stuff. And thankfully @AusCan came with extra tools! My Dremel tool seized from the heat after cutting the topsheet and couldn't change the cutting disk. @AusCan brought his angle grinder with thin cutting wheels and made short work of the skeleton bars in the way!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Step 9:

Bolted on the scoop! This is where you want your bolt holes a hair larger than your bolts. I opted to use large washers on the underside and nuts with the teflon rings in them for added hold. I went with 1/4" x 1.5" stainless bolts here cause these were the smallest ones I could find at Home Depot.

I ended up only having to open up one hole that was a bit off making the bolt there go a bit sideways. I also painted the tops of the anchor bolts earlier on with touch up paint to match.

The final product!

@AusCan and I were a little shocked how easy and smooth things went. After only 2 hours of cutting and bolting we were done, so we finished with another round of beers...

The only thing I couldn't foresee til the scoop was bolted on, is that the RS hood is flatter then this Forester's hood. The Forester hood curves down at its edges more, and there's about a 3mm gap on the left and right sides of the scoop. Oh well, doesn't really annoy me at the moment. Not a show car or meant for 100% functionality - all just for fun. I'll take his advise and see if and what there is down the road to fill the gaps there if it ever starts to annoy me...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Was good to catch up. Great work with the template and cutting.

You completed that in no time. Kermy looking really good matey.

Nice to see the RS in person. Now that is definitely a keeper a true Subie Unicorn :).

Till next time ha.

Cheers,

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
For those who asked, got around to some shots of the underside of the hood and cleaned things up a little with some black paint while I was at it...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
So the extra exhaust tip I had kicking around that I slipped onto the muffler started rusting out. Oh well, don't think I even paid $10 for it way back when. I was thinking of getting something else eventually or see if I come across an STI muffler or something.

Thanks to @AusCan for hooking me up with a stainless XT exhaust tip!

Cleaned it up and with his help tacked a nut inside of it and bolted it on...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Time for Kermy's tune up that I like to do annually for my Subaru's. Since everything is still in mint shape from last year, it was just plugs and the air filter. Only this time, I went with a K&N panel filter and did one more thing to the airbox.

I took out the white spout inside the airbox, and like the suggestions I saw on other posts on here, I 'sealed' the outside of the airbox's opening to the body with foam tape.

Didn't know how thick to get and had to double-up on the 1/4" stuff I picked up.

And popped the panel in place!

Went for a couple of quick test drives; running fine and no engine light as of yet. Noticed surprising more pet, torque and gas pedal sensitivity. Nothing drastic, but a noticeable change for just a panel filter. I noticed the K&N filter is about half as thick as the Napa factory replacement filter that was in there.

This is probably as close as I'll get to a full aftermarket intake system of any kind without the engine light going off, so I'm satisfied in knowing I've "maxed" it out as much as I can...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
So the larger exhaust tip has revealed that my exhaust hangers weren't in great shape. The muffler was swinging around and in my case tapping on the tow hitch. Got annoying after a while and upgraded to some Kartboy hangers.

Turns out one of the hangers was starting to split; I'm guessing from the hitch install. It was pretty tricky replacing them with the tow hitch there, but managed. The one to the left of the muffler was a tight fit. Glad I went with the XL ones, muffler and tip has slightly more clearance now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
On a bit of a whim, got an additional pair of Special Edition emblems. Put Sport ones on the g/f's car on the front doors and liked it, so did the same...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Turns out the clunking noise I was getting from the back was more then just the muffler, or wasn't the muffler after all. It would come and go randomly, sometimes over a bump, sometimes after. Sometimes just turning to park, I'd get a pretty loud snap.

Everything looked normal underneath to me til I went to my mechanic cause it was starting to stump me. I told him the symptoms and that at one point I was able to shake the car side-to-side and I'd get that snapping sound sometimes. He right away said if I could do that with the car on the ground it's probably something with the sway bar. Up on the hoist we were both looking at everything with a fine-tooth comb and the driver's side rear sway bar link was sitting at a much sharper angle then the passenger one. He called around to see if anyone had a pair on the shelf but no dice. He said to call Monday to make an appointment and this way the parts would arrive by then for sure.

It then dawned on me coming home Sunday night that I think I might have something at home. Went through one of my bins and at the bottom I had an extra pair of Whiteline endlinks I forgot I had. I know I bought them to use in my Impreza 5-6 years ago, can't remember why and think I couldn't end up using them and just kept them.

Went to change them out tonight and remember how stubborn the links were when I changed the bar last year. I soaked them with penetrating lube on my lunch break which made things easier later, except one bolt of course. Holy hell, getting the vice grips to lock on that one bolt took everything I got but finally started to loosen the nut and not spin.

Before that one bolt and after, things went otherwise uneventful. Glad I soaked them in lube earlier, had an easier time on the other 3 then I did when I swapped the bar. Bit overkill for a daily driver using these but already had the parts and saved some cash with the holidays coming up.

Went for a quick 10 minute drive and so far no clunking. But it's incredibly foggy out right now and my right shoulder's exhausted...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Had something installed that cost a bit and this is all I have to show for it :p

Was getting tired of the factory keyless not being responsive all the time. There'd be moments where it wouldn't work at all. So I went back to the same guys that did the alarm in my Impreza few years ago and went with a Compustar as well...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
Installed another Christmas present I got for myself for Kermy.

The outer bolster on the driver's seat cushion cracked up again. I bought it like that and had a mobile repair done, which lasted around 9 months or so. This time worse, with flakes of the other materials chipping away. Looking around on here, turns out the seat material isn't that great. I could've gotten it repaired again, but then how long would it last. I looked into a new seat cushion cover piece from the dealer, but I found it to be around $350 and it's just made of the same fake leather. I also looked for another driver's seat but couldn't find one that matched my colours; and I'd still be stuck with the same fake leather again, only this time just as old as what I have.

I also noticed I had the problem of water stains easily occurring and stuff getting stuck in the hexagon fabric section of the seats. It's like there's a layer of mesh over the fabric and things get stuck in between. Found a pine needle in the back seat I could only fish out with tweezers!

So, I went with seat covers! Never had em in any other car I've owned and never actually installed any myself. Doing my research I didn't want too-"generic" ones, thin fabric ones nor more fake leather. I also wanted something black and green. I went with neoprene (wet suit materials) ones from FH Group.

They're universal but very modular to work in a lot cars. The back seat was simple enough, just tedious. I didn't have to remove the lower cushion; unbolting it at the front and lifting it up was enough. Cause some of the seat belt buckles don't horizontally flap down on the cushion from out of the crevice, I had to cut some slits into it so they pop out cause they seem to be anchored vertically to the folding seat pivots. The way the kit is, I was also able to retain the split folding seat by the way of their zipper system. I did remove the centre headrest and centre seat belt guide from the rear bench. The headrest covers were way too big for the baby centre head rest, and didn't want to cut more holes in the cover of the centre belt guide. I so rarely have 5 people in any of my cars that... I don't think it's ever happened anyway. So whoever ends up sitting there will just have to put up without them for what I'm sure would be a quick ride anyway. I'll also keep the 5th head rest cover as spare material in case I ever need to do a repair.

The front seats were much easier, though the passenger seat was the easiest. The driver's seat isn't a perfect mirror of the passenger one turns out. I took the front seat organizers off the back of them; they'll probably go into the g/f's car and the covers for the fronts have built in pockets in the back of them. All in all, took about 3 hours, taking my time, to get everything to fit as close to factory as possible. Went for a drive, the seats are quite cushier! Now the seats are covered in waterproof materials and if there happens to get a stain, it won't show as bad and easier to get out. Car smells like a new wet suit for now but I'm really liking the black contrasting with the rest of the interior...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Over the weekend I did the vinyl-tubing-in-the-window-seal -> Window wind noise.

Noise has significantly reduced, but still slightly there on the highway. I went with 5/16" tubing; maybe down the road I'll go up a size or 2 if it starts to annoy me again or starts to 'wear out'...

61 - 80 of 108 Posts
About this Discussion
107 Replies
8 Participants
clsmooth
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing