Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

(How he looked the day after I bought him...)

UPDATED MOD LIST:

Exterior
Frog license plate frames
Green front grill frame -> Blacked out front grill w/ Endless Auto green galaxy front emblem overlay
Nokya Hyper White S1 headlights
Nokya Hyper Yellow S1 foglights
Autolumination white & amber LED parking lights
CREE 4" LED bumper lights
OEM hood deflector (pre-installed)
Dual green grill mounted Fiamm 125 dB low tone horns
Bolt-on & functional RS hood scoop w/ hood insulation delete
Paint-matched front/rear washer nozzles
RS smoked side markers w/ Autolumination amber LED's
Duplicolor Metal Specks green Mirrors, B-pillars, C-pillars and centre hatch molding
Paint-matched driver's door lock cylinder
Side mirror 20% tint visors
Chrome Special Edition emblems
OEM sunroof visor w/ pop-up flap delete
C&C Car Worx 20% tint window visors
Silver pin stripping (pre-installed)
Solar Gard 20% window tint
OEM roof rack (pre-installed)
Blacked-out rear diff
Blacked-out muffler
Autolumination green LED -> Nokya Hyper green license plate lights
Nokya Hyper White reverse lights
'06/'07 OEM-style roof spoiler w/ red LED 3rd brake light
'08-'13 rear SUBARU hatch emblem
U-Haul trailer hitch w/ MasterLock hitch pin for SportRack Pathway 2-bike rack / frog hitch cover
OEM rear bumper cover
Chrome exhaust tip -> XT stainless exhaust tip -> Universal stainless exhaust tip

Interior
'06 OEM carpet & rubber floor mats
Auto A/C defrost delete
Nokya Hyper White map lights
Green digital voltmeter
Endless Auto green galaxy steering wheel emblem overlay
Green pin-stripped steering wheel channel
Green anodized shift knob
OEM armrest extension w/ DIY organizer
FH Group black/green neoprene seat covers
Autolumination green LED dome lights
'06 OEM cargo cover & liner

Infotainment
CompuSTAR keyless entry alarm
Clarion NX602 head unit w/ video handbrake by-pass & back-up camera
Clarion SRG1623S 6.5" component front speakers (w/ Clarion SRG213H 1" tweeters)
Clarion SRG1023R 4" 2-way rear speakers
Clarion SRV250 6.75" underseat subwoofer w/ remote

Powertrain
DIY green intake pipe w/ cone filter -> DIY green hybrid intake w/ snorkus & inner spout delete and K&N panel air filter
NGK spark plugs & wires
6 AWG engine grounds
K&N valve cover vents
Green engine bits
Engine undertray & front 'mudflap' delete
Engine bay/hood rear seal delete
OEM magnetic oil drain plug
Castrol GTX
Redline MTL transmission oil
Redline 75W90NS rear diff oil
Kartboy urethane muffler hangers

Footwork
Freedom Design STI front strut bar in silver & green
Green calipers & drums
Napa ceramic front pads
Prime X-drilled & slotted front rotors
OEM wheel locks
Green anodized valve caps -> Green plastic valve caps
Green silicone lug nut caps -> Green lug nuts
Wheels N Bits mudflaps w/ Subaru logo
'10 OEM Impreza 2.5i 12-spoke rims w/ GT Radial Champiro VP1
'05 STI 20mm rear sway bar w/ Whiteline bushings & endlinks

CAR'S DONE!
Maybe one day:
06-08 Black JDM/Sport tail lights
Hollow-out the 2nd cat
Raised suspension a bit

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Picked up my new (for me) Forester this past Sunday! Previous Kermy got written off, his thread's here.

Looking for a new Forester this past month and this was one of the first one's I found and in the end couldn't pass it up. It was pretty much everything like my previous Forester, though trading some options for others, but loving that massive sunroof! In the end snagged up this 2005 X SE. Yup, Special Edition made just for Canada at the time: 2005 Forester X SE Road Test . It's a trim that got options that land it between X and XS. If I'm reading things correctly, I'm about 4 or 5 options shy of an XS. Doesn't mean I can upgrade ;)

Great history too: Came in as a trade-in to the same, local Subaru dealer that sold it new, one previous female owner, all dealership service records, green, 5 speed manual and only 110 000 km's! Got it at under black book value too, so I'm happy with the deal. Because it was at the dealer's lot, it went through a whole inspection but they also put new pads & rotors in the front, new shoes and wheel cylinders in the rear, 4 brand new tires and even a new alternator!

I managed to save some things out of my previous Forester that I'll be installing into this one. Glad I still managed to stay with my funky colour and my goal is a daily driver with a slight, tastefully cheesy look :p And so the story begins anew...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Installed nearly everything I saved from my previous Forester tonight...

Popped in the LED dome lights.

Saved my license plate frames.

Blacked out the muffler and rear diff again and slipped on my old exhaust tip.

And my DIY intake came out of my first Forester unscathed!

This was one of the 2 big ticket items I wanted to save & managed to, and sounds silly, but I'm actually quite proud of this little thing :p Its build is here. Ended up fitting and working. Just had to cap off the 'centre' vacuum outlet as the 05 doesn't have a hose going to a PCV sensor. MAF sensors were the same part number between 05 and 06.

And ironically, I ordered a shift knob that I was going to pick up the very Saturday after the accident. I didn't know what was going to happen at the time, but I initially only picked it up from my US address to stay in good standing with my shipper. Put this one in with a big smile on my face! Used a small stack of washers I had that happened to be a perfect fit to hold the shift boot up.

Some things not pictured: installed my 6 awg engine ground and saved the OEM floor mats as well which was good as this Forester didn't come with anything. Also saved the privacy cover and cargo mat thankfully as they were in a bit better shape then what came with this Forester...

Lots of other parts ordered and/or booked for install coming ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't wait for some of parts to show up, and popped out the centre console trim to remove that arm for the A/C defrost when on windshield. I went through 1/4 tank of gas faster then I would've liked as I need air blowing on the windshield this time of year. Looking forward to getting better mileage now...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Busy weekend! Yesterday took Kermy to my mechanic to find out he has a clean bill of health, and to also swap some wheels! This is probably the fastest I ever bought wheels for a vehicle. About 40 minutes after I drove the car off the lot, I was at a guy's house buying these.

Found a set of 12 spoke alloys from a 2010 Impreza 2.5i off craigslist...

I stayed with 16" cause the tires that came on Kermy were brand new, and as a daily driver I can run taller tires for more comfort and if there are any issues down the road 16" tires are cheaper. Grabbed a wheel lock set from the dealer too.

Love how they turned out!

Softie's ready for a spin...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up some parts from my local dealership and some more came in to my US shipper.

He's officially a special edition! :p

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Was gonna do this to my previous Forester come this time of year also. Brighter headlight bulbs and yellow fogs. Changing the fog light on the passenger side was a pain in the ***...

(Ya, that marker light doesn't always turn on)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's running noticeably better now. Taking stuff out like the plugs, wires and PCV, I suspect all of it was original. The air filter in the stock airbox sure did...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Did a bit of prep for the stereo install so it's not a 3 hour ordeal like last time. Had the glove box out and changed the cabin filter that I never put into my first Forester. Wow, that filter was gross...

License plate lights are again green LED's!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Stereo's back in! My Clarion NX602 just like I have in my Impreza.

This was the 2nd of two big ticket items I wanted to save from my first Forester. I had to leave the GPS antenna behind in that one. It was adhered to the dash too well, and I weaved its wire through the dash too well too; didn't leave me with enough time to remove it. Clarion uses a relatively generic antenna, so a replacement was easy to find, was waiting for the new one to come in.

I'm also relieve everything about it still works! Even remembered all my settings, didn't have to change a thing...

What was funny about saving this deck was, because my 1st Forester was being written off, the insurance company still wants a "complete" car; which means no hole in the dash where the head unit is or you get dinged. I called an autowrecker and asked for their cheapest, least valuable deck they have :p They were a bit confused at first but when I came down in person the guy let me have a pick from his pile. I grabbed this scuzzy looking double-DIN deck that said Honda on it and asked him if this was worthless to him. He said, 'Yup' and let me walk outta the place with it! I think he was just happy to get rid of some junk...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Engine bay's done!

I painted all the things that needed to be black, black. And all the things that needed to be silver, silver. Added the green touch to some bits too...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put on my new emblem overlays! Went with the 6-star logo as the ones as the JDM logo'd one don't appear available anymore (or at least when I was shopping for them)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Brand new OEM hood deflector came in on Friday and installed it that night!

It's pretty big, but lines up with the roof rack in height. I also wanted to remove that metal flap that pops up when the sunroof's open now that I have this to replace it. I could not figure out how that thing came out and ended up trimming the hinges off with my dremel :/ Oh well, that eye-sore's out and saved some weight cause that things a big slab of steel that's surprisingly heavy.

I'm also really surprised my local dealer still found a new one in inventory somewhere! I was willing to take a new one intended for a new Forester or Impreza and make it work, but happened to find a new one still. I ordered it at the same time as my armrest extension and took a while to come in from whatever-warehouse. Also wanted a bolt-on one, not an aftermarket stick-on one. I should really try and take some outdoor pics...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Over the weekend, also changed my tranny and diff fluid with Redline. Even used the Subaru-specific diff fluid!

It might be a bit overkill for a daily driver, but love this stuff and it's been in my last 3 or 4 cars now. Really smoothed out the shifting...

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
About this Discussion
107 Replies
8 Participants
clsmooth
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing