Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with a 2018 Forester 2.5i been able to retain the use of the stock rear camera to a new radio?

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
180 Posts
I will be upgrading the 7” in my 18 Premium with the Kenwood 9903s in the next few days. I went with auto harness house custom made harness that has the 6vdc compatibility to Subaru rear camera. I am assembling the parts I need before I remove the 7” non nav unit.
Lou Cioccio

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
180 Posts
I want to add this about the USB functionality in the center console will be powered only and no longer connected to your head unit. Brian from AutoHarness explains this to me and you can have a custom cable made with Subaru Parts (Dual USB and Aux) I forgo this option. Since the Kenwood has two USB cables Grey for Android and Black for iPhone. Yes you could hook two iPhone but the black cable would be for Car Play from what I read in the manual. I ordered this from Amazon Sorry! Something went wrong!
At the bottom of the center infotainment is 12VDC adapter I am going to drill hole for this and hook the USB cable to HU. I don't like the USB cable coming out of the center council to where I have the iPhone mounted on the vent. I felt doing it this way with CarPlay I can lay the iPhone 6s in there. So this may be something to think about.
I'll use a hole cutting drill bit once I measure the diameter of the USB adaptor. From the Kenwood specs has enough to keep the phone charged.
USB interface section USB Standard
: USB 2.0 High Speed
File System
: FAT 16/ 32, exFAT, NTFS
Maximum Power Supply Current
: DC 5 V 1.5 A × 2

Lou Cioccio

·
Registered
2018 Forester
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI, I purchased a flush mount usb 2 dual cable to mount in the front center cigarette lighter plug to hook up to the dual usb's in the rear of the radio instead of the cables that come with it.
I don't think there is a difference on my DMX between the usb cables.
Thanks for your imput, really helping.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything went fine on the install, I have my back camera along with all my steering wheel controls too!
I purchased the autoharnesshouse harness and also had to purchase iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro SW, I was able to use the BRZ model as the Forester was not available yet to get my steering wheel controls to work with the Kenwood.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
180 Posts
Go here and login in should be the same as you flashed maestro or you might have to register. Any how list what you did there should be someone to give you insight.
Maestro SW -
Lou Cioccio

1 - 7 of 7 Posts