Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had this fitted yesterday and I am very happy with it so far.
Great bit of kit, the quality of the sound is much better than the OE one and it is nice to be able to control the phone and have an integrated GPS. The only thing it doesn't do is make coffee, lol :)

My only question from when removing the OE stereo, where can the frequency converter be found (AFAIK Litchfield fit one to the JDM OE stereo; saying that the OE stereo tuned from 76-89 MHz so not sure if it had one fitted?) and what does it look like? I just wonder whether the audio fitter company removed it from the car :confused:

·
Registered
04' Forester STI
376 Posts
I think you mean the band expander? It's only a small metal piece that fits inline on the signal wire.

Any pics of the new unit? - sounds great.:bling:

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you mean the band expander? It's only a small metal piece that fits inline on the signal wire.

Any pics of the new unit? - sounds great.:bling:
Yes. I am not sure whether they have removed it or not (when they returned me the old headunit there wasn't anything else in the box - unless they discarded it) as I get some hissing in a few radio stations and when the signal is lost the radio automatically searches for another frequency although the latter must be a function enabled in the tuner that I need to disable; I haven't had time to read the instruction manual or play with it yet, I will have a go and then compare the reception with the 205's radio. I suspect the band expander as you say is still in(?) as they said they connected the power to the antenna so it can't be that.

I will get some pics tomorrow :)

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a few pics:

The radio is 'over sensitive' compared with the OE one. I can tune to a particular station in more than a few frequencies whereas I could hardly tune to anything with the OE one.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, the band expander was 'forgotten' so it has been removed now but I get some garbage at certain frequencies when driving. Most stations are OK but the tuner will find some garbage and tune to it, not sure why. When stationary I don't have the problem.

Can someone shed some light in post#17 here:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/lousy-radio-reception-25226/index2.html#post751910
The question is : is the Subaru OEM plug for the Power Antenna part of the ISO?
Because I was told that the Kenwood lead has a blue wire called Antenna Remote and if the Subaru is part of the ISO then the 2 would have been connected anyway.

Unless the Subaru Power Antenna plug is 'hanging' and not part of the ISO in which case it has to be aligned with the Kenwood blue wire...

Any ideas?

Cheers.

EDIT: If this is the case as per pic: http://www.scoobymods.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3246&d=1100521060 then it means that the white wire of the Subaru plug would have aligned anyway to the Kenwood is that correct? (since the Kenwood harness has an Antenna remote by default)

Does anyone have a pic of the Kenwood adaptor to see if the blue wire is indeed at the corner?

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, ignore this, problem solved now.
AF was OFF and Regional ON.
By putting AF to ON and Regional OFF I have crystal clear radio reception now :woohoo:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts