Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

If one were to alter the wheel and tire combination to a point that renders the spare tire obsolete, does it make sense to keep it in the car for a false sense of security? Would it make more sense to take it out and replace it with patch kits and air pump for a little more storage space + weight saving?

Thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
It seems like you would want to keep it in the event you sell the car. If you've sold off your stock rims, then there is less incentive to keep the spare as well. I have snows on my OEMs so plan on keeping the spare. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Wouldn't you like to have a spare that matches your other tires? It is kinda useful!

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
I keep it...

because it's a designed part of the structural integrity of the car in case of a collision.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
What size tires are you running?

If you have an auto, you can always put it into FWD mode, and make sure the spare ends up on one of the rear wheel positions, where it won't damage the diff.

As long as you keep the stock rolling diameter, then the spare can be useful. Only point when i'd think it would make sense to be rid of the spare is if you've upgraded both front and rear brakes to the point where it won't fit, or if you can't match the rolling diameter of the other wheels. I can't imagine you're using 13" rotors on the rear, so a 16" spare should still work there.

All that aside, if you're willing to wait for AAA to show up, then take it out and put that space to better use. Just don't rely on a can of fix-a-flat to get you out of trouble... that stuff is horrible.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
I run non-stock sized tyres and I keep my spare (225/55R17 and a stock 215/60R16 spare)
Even used it recently.

I dont think a wrong size is going to kill the car in a short distance. I had about 100km/60 miles to travel and it did it ok without any complaints. Around a city you shouldnt even need to do that sort of distance.

My tyre has a slash that would be very hard to fix (tyre place wouldnt plug it). I think Id be safer on a good tyre thats a different size than on something that could pop at speed.

But remember - if your spare is the wrong size it should be used just to get you the min distance till you can get the other tyre fixed/replaced.

So yeah Id say keep the spare in the car and use it if you need it. Just dont get lazy and leave it on for weeks.

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
I would have to agree with dicknose on the ability to use a slightly dissimilar tire circumfrence size for a minimum time frame without causing concern. Many times a person will unknowingly run less pressure in one tire resulting in a slight difference in circumference for many miles and never even realize that this differential exists. Less noticeable at higher speeds since the tire tends to "grow" at higher revolutions, but different nonetheless.

Jeff :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts