Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2" lift planned on my '19 foz and just wondered about the benefits of getting a 17" wheel fitted with appropriate A/T tires (haven't decided which yet but likely KO2s) vs keeping the 18" wheel and putting on A/T treads.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dammit I clicked post before I was done! lol.

Anyway. I want to to some off roading on weekends as there are plenty of trails around me. Will the 1" in wheel size matter or should I stick with the original wheels and just get some good A/T tires?

·
Registered
2019 Sport cvt
152 Posts
I think there are more tire choices in the 17" rim size. Not sure the K02s are available for the 18" (I've got a 2019 Sport). I think I'll be doing some deeper investigating when my original tires need replacing. No lift at this point. I tend to like the idea of having more sidewall depth than less (even for general street use potholes being what they are in much of California) and the K02s for the more rugged sidewall beyond that.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
631 Posts
It is hard to plan for everything, but they type of off-road adventures you intend to have should impact your choices. My cousin has a 2015 Foz and mounted some beefy Falken 235/75R15 tires on 15" wheels. He has an LP Adventure 2" lift kit. The tires look great and his argument is that he wants beefy tires for driving in rock country in Sedona. He plans to do some boulder crawling and in general wants the tire to hit rocks and rough terrain and not the rims.

For most people AT tires on teh factory wheel will work fine for driving on dirt roads, but if you paln on driving gnarly terrain, then smaller rims and larger tires are the obvious choice.

BTW, what lift kit are you planning on using. I am considering a lift as well.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
18 Posts
Super curious, I'm intent on doing the same to my 2019 Limited. 2" lift and some more sidewall is what I'd like.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Sdcerreta

Yeah I think I'm going down to 17". can't make it down to 15" because it won't clear the brakes.

I'm looking at the LP Aventure 2" lift kit but it's pricey $899 for painted or $839 for blank steel.

I'm planning some off roading trips in the Sierras. No rock crawling or anything extreme but some gnarly trails with a few small rock gardens here and there. It's mainly to get to some far away destinations rather than for the hell of it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
631 Posts
Very cool,

17" seems perfect. My cousin did mention that his brakes clear the rims by 1/2" but he will occasionally pick up rocks between the caliper and rim and it will grind until it pops out.

Primitive Racing should be coming out with a lift kit very soon. The price will be around the same, but their kits include King Springs. I have not decided yet, but I really want to upgrade when I need tires, not sooner. We'll see if I have the will power to hold out for tire wear.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
I'll probably wait and see about the Primitive lift kit then. I'm out of the country until mid April anyway, maybe it'll be available by then.

Do you know if Primitive is also going to have a skid plate available soon? LP Aventure's skid plate requires a front bumper guard. It's $$$$$.

·
Administrator
15,379 Posts
@Terr I'd prefer 17s to 18s; or even 16s / 15s if you've got the cash to buy special rally wheels. I switched to 15" from 16" rims many years ago but it was easy on my MY'03. A taller sidewall is always an advantage off-road.

BTW

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Kevin I seriously wish I could go down to 15 or 16 but then I'd have to get new brakes :(

Will go update my profile now.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
631 Posts
I'll probably wait and see about the Primitive lift kit then. I'm out of the country until mid April anyway, maybe it'll be available by then.

Do you know if Primitive is also going to have a skid plate available soon? LP Aventure's skid plate requires a front bumper guard. It's $$$$$.
Yeah, that combo is nice, but $1200.

The Primitive kits are almost ready. Keirsten says they are just waiting on the King Springs. She thinks a couple more weeks. I am trying to get a price.

Primitive has the mid $180 and rear $110 skid plates, but no front yet. I actually am using the Subaru OEM alum skid plate $145 and i like it a lot. They have a black steel plat for $100.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
18 Posts
Yeah, that combo is nice, but $1200.

The Primitive kits are almost ready. Keirsten says they are just waiting on the King Springs. She thinks a couple more weeks. I am trying to get a price.

Primitive has the mid $180 and rear $110 skid plates, but no front yet. I actually am using the Subaru OEM alum skid plate $145 and i like it a lot. They have a black steel plat for $100.
I was looking at the Subie skid plates too, but no info on thickness. How thick was the alu one?

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
631 Posts
It seems to be 1/8" thick and fairly heavy. I was very impressed with the OEM plate. It was a perfect fit and covers more area than the LP Adventure kit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Primitive has the mid $180 and rear $110 skid plates, but no front yet.
Sorry to perpetuate a tangent here but I thought I’d state that Primitive has the front plate available. I’m picking up all 3 protection pieces from them later today.

·
Registered
2018 forester manual
68 Posts
not sure if they increased the brake size in 19 but on a 18 235/75r15 fit with no lift . rims where 140$ ea but tires cost a lot less than 17s so that helps with the cost a bit . The difference in ride quality is day and night .
20190205_073130_1551799168069.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
158 Posts
I'm going the 17 inch route with AT wheels due to wheel availability and slightly bigger walls. For our 19's there's not a lot of choices in tires yet as i would like to get Falken AT Wildpeaks, but KO2s are pretty good as well.

My planned overlanding setup:
Subtle Solutions 1.5 lift kit (last mod as i may not do it at all)
MR502 17x8
BFG KO2 225/65r17
Primitive 3 piece skid plates
some brand of fog lights
Roof rack that can hold a spare wheel/tire.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would like to get Falken AT Wildpeaks
I've got the Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my current vehicle and I'm a big fan of them. Unfortunately, there's not a size to match up with the Forester. And I'm opposed to the BFGs.

Since I'm taking delivery of a Premium, I'm dropping down in wheel size and will try out the Nokian Rotiiva AT in 225/70R16 on Sparco Terra in 16 x 7, +45mm. The guy at the local Discount Tire was very hesitant about the order. I'll try the bare wheel up front first to make sure it's good over the brakes. Then maybe mount a tire on that wheel to use as the spare, which will have a standard valve, just to confirm clearance in the wheel well area prior to tearing down the OEM setup for the TPMS valves. My preference is to have no lift; I think everything should be good at stock ride height. I saw the Australian market has a full-size spare so I'm anticipating that with some foam manipulation I'll be able to stow the aftermarket setup in the factory location.

EDIT: 16" wheels do NOT fit the '19 Premium due to front rotor size and caliper contact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should check out the Pirelli A/T Plus. Just put them on my 2019 and I love them. 225/65 17 stock height. Almost as aggressive looking as the ko2’s with only about 1mpg loss and no added road noise. Handled like a dream in the snow. They’re on 17x8 with a 53 offset so they sit in a little right now. Considering spacers...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts