Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want your opinion, should I trade in my 2019 Forester for a 2022 model with the price difference around $7,000 with my trade in. I would like to wait for the Solterra 2024 model and wonder if I would be better off getting the 2022 to have a better price for that trade in or just keep my 2019 Forester with 42,0000 miles, (nothing wrong with it)
Thanks

·
Registered
2022 Wilderness Geyser Blue
450 Posts
I would say it depends on what the prices of everything are. Are you moving up a trim? What is your milage? That is a little higher differential than I would expect for the differential between the two. My mother has a 2019 Impreza and I priced it out. She could trade it in, move up a trim, and it would still be a wash on price.

If you can get a good price on both it can be very smart in this market. For instance, my price for my 2022 Wilderness is $3,350 bellow MSRP. I wouldn't be buying it right now if I had to pay over MSRP. Play your cards right and you can take advantage of this market. Play them wrong and you will be the one getting taken advantage of.

·
Registered
726 Posts
That was close to the differential for my 17 to 21. Which crossed generational lines and was a big change.
Other than the front bumper, the 2022 is very similiar to the 2019.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Limited
26 Posts
I agree with @zachavm. If you have to pay over MSRP on a 2022 model, I would 100% pass, even if you get a good offer on your 2019. When 2024 rolls around (or I guess really 2023) the market will not be this crazy and you'll most likely get a good deal on something new, which I would bet is a better deal than what you'd get on your 2019 now vs in 2023

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,684 Posts
Unless you must have a new car or cannot live without the new for 2022 Wilderness edition, there is little compelling reason to sell your 2019 and get a 2022. The changes for the mid-cycle refresh are not earth-shattering - see other threads about the 2022 for more details - but the major change is the new nose, the new Wilderness and an updated Eyesight system.

As mentioned by others - the current market is crazy. Yes, you can get a lot more for your 2019 model NOW than you could just a few months ago or will get in another 6 months or ...? Currently there is a lot of demand and very little supply for new and used vehicles.

There are no 2022 models on the lots yet and new orders are starting to possibly arrive at dealers in December or January for orders previously placed. Dealer "stock" will probably not start arriving until February or March (at the soonest) where there won't be a line waiting for the truck to come in and folks just saying "I'll take that one" pointing to the car on the truck. Back in 2013 when I bought my 2014 Forester, I was working with the sales person for about 2 months and whenever a truck would arrive, there was a line of folks waiting to point and buy.

My suggestion? If you're interested in the Solterra - wait until it starts arriving (supposedly sometime next year) and drive it and see if you like the new EV. If not, you can also look at the 2022 models of the Forester and decide then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, Thanks for excellent responses and I will keep my 2019 Forester and wait to see what the new EV is like in 1-2 years. The mechanic at the Subaru shop told me to keep it, also and said that at 42,000 miles and in great shape, it is just getting broken in.
I appreciate your help!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,109 Posts
Normally I would say its your money..get it. But the 19-21 Forester has the global platform and there is no turbo. Save your money.

Yet I am getting rid of my '19 Crosstrek with the Global Platform. Its a good car but you sit too low. Also my '18 has the Tubo which is necessary for at least one of my Foresters.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
971 Posts
@zachavm, yessir! ;)

Also, would not buy an EV due to long charging times vs splash and go with petrol or diesel. Most electricity is still made from burning oil and coal, mining/processing of the battery ingredients is very bad for the environment (mostly comes from China and middle east too), batteries go bad and are very expensive, couple friends have Nissan Leaf and Toyota Prius with reduced range due to slowly dying batteries.

As mentioned smaller engine with turbo I'll pass, works the tiny engine too hard. Subaru was better off when the turbo's were 2.5L instead of 2.0L.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,109 Posts
@zachavm, yessir! ;)
Subaru was better off when the turbo's were 2.5L instead of 2.0L.
I doubt you have driven the 2.0 FA.

EJ is old technology. The FA engine is in a class of its own. It was voted one of the worlds 10 best engines three times in the last 8 years. It can be built to 400 HP with no beefing up of internals. Its not like the smaller 1.5 Honda/Ford engines that put out 180HP. The FA unturboed put out 205HP at 7,000 rpm. The 250HP at 6000 rpm is severely de rated. It puts a smile on your face when you take it to redline.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
213 Posts
I want your opinion, should I trade in my 2019 Forester for a 2022 model with the price difference around $7,000 with my trade in. I would like to wait for the Solterra 2024 model and wonder if I would be better off getting the 2022 to have a better price for that trade in or just keep my 2019 Forester with 42,0000 miles, (nothing wrong with it)
Thanks
There is little difference between the MY19 and the MY22...same platform, minor additions and cosmetics. I would not pay the premium unless there was a really good reason to have a new vehicle. We have a MY20 Forester Limited and it, too, will stay in the driveway a couple more years until we can move to the Solterra for our "ratting around" vehicle.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
15 Posts
Wow, Thanks for excellent responses and I will keep my 2019 Forester and wait to see what the new EV is like in 1-2 years. The mechanic at the Subaru shop told me to keep it, also and said that at 42,000 miles and in great shape, it is just getting broken in.
I appreciate your help!
Good decision ! I am still hamging on to my2006 with 96 k miles. We just had out 16 yr anniv yesterday.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,137 Posts
I appreciate your help!
Good play. Don't fall for the hype if you have your eye on another vehicle.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
69 Posts
The only reason to sell/trade in for a new car is if your old one has problems or just doesn’t do something that the new one is gonna do for you. I considered trading my 2015XT for a new Crosstrek but am concerned I would get bored with the decrease in hp - also new availability is skim pickins

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
135 Posts
I doubt you have driven the 2.0 FA.

EJ is old technology. The FA engine is in a class of its own. It was voted one of the worlds 10 best engines three times in the last 8 years. It can be built to 400 HP with no beefing up of internals. Its not like the smaller 1.5 Honda/Ford engines that put out 180HP. The FA unturboed put out 205HP at 7,000 rpm. The 250HP at 6000 rpm is severely de rated. It puts a smile on your face when you take it to redline.
Completely agree. The FA20DIT still doesn't have a match in the new Subaru models. Not sure Soltera will be a match either.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premium
3 Posts
Thanks
The first year solterra may have some bugs to work out. The 2022 forester with its higher towing capacity appears to me to be the only substantive difference. So no

1 - 20 of 22 Posts