Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester Automatic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Requesting input on our decision to sell and upgrade or hold and repair. Our base model '09 Forester currently has about 81,000 miles on it. No major issues so far, but we anticipate that it is fast approaching some expensive replacements/repairs - exhaust, tires, water pump, timing belt and head gaskets. Is it wiser to keep and repair the '09 or sell and move up to a newer, low-mileage model? Which year??

Because of the CVT issues in the more recent years, my current target years would be 2011, '12 or '13. Are there any common problems in these three years that would rule them out as good choices? Was the head gasket problem actually resolved in the 2.5x Foresters? In which years?

Any input on this matter would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
I had a similar decision to make 2 years ago and decided to invest in my 2010. I'm glad I did!!!

If I were you, I would first do a compression test of the engine which will tell you a lot about the engine's health. If that looks OK, and the car is otherwise running OK, I would invest in it. With cars, I'm very much a believer in keeping the Devil You Know.

How bad is the HG issue? Gentle weeping can last for years, so may not need doing straight away. You can of course save $$ and have the timing belt & HG done at same time, that's what I did. Water pump, tensioner and replace all idlers too.

With the FB engine 2011 onwards, especially the earlier ones, you might encounter cars that had the faulty piston ring issue. These may or may not have had the short block replaced. Balanced against that is no timing belt to replace and oil filter is easy on top of the engine.

The HG issue was more or less addressed with the FB engine receiving the MLS gaskets which the later EJ (Forester) engines missed out on.

If you spent, say, $4k on your current Forester you may have a car that will happily go another 100k before more work.

You have to factor how much mileage you'll be doing and what sort of use your current car will be getting.

Like I said, if it were me, I'd check out engine health and if that looks good I'd invest. Another plus for the EJ is that the 4 speed auto box is generally very sound and relatively problem free.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
Sell it and buy an 06 XT 😄
Ignore this ^^^^^^

adc is probably right. Why on earth would you get rid of a vehicle that is satisfying your needs? And especially, DON'T replace a reliable Subaru with a used one. The used ones on dealer and used vehicle lots are the ones that someone else has rejected. Might be, because of taste. Might be, because it burns oil, or worse. Salesman will never tell you this.

If you want to stay Subaru, buy a new one. If you are good with older technology (I yearn for lane departure, automatic braking, etc) then keep the one you have......

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
890 Posts
Psssht... well if you're happy with what you've got then don't sell it... but I don't think my suggestion was outrageous.

Edit to be slightly more helpful... is your 09 yours from new? Or near new? 81k is not a huge amount of miles and if you've put on the majority of those, you'll know how the car 'feels', sounds etc... provided you've not driven like a clown, I'd have thought regular maintenance of timing belt and water pump etc would be more or less your main issue. Of course things... a new old car, may have been palmed off for lots of reasons, some good some bad...

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
2 Posts
I'm considering this myself with my 2007 X auto, 58k miles and very clean. Dealer's trying to tell me it needs a transmission, power steering pump, wheel bearings and a hood latch: "if (I'm) really lucky, (I) might get another year out of it." I'm taking her in to an aftermarket Subaru shop with a great rep next week. I'm inclined to invest in her. Yes, I'd like new tech, but my FOZ has been so reliable over the years. My Subies have been the best cars I've ever owned.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts