Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
04 XS Prem Gold
2004 2.5 XS Premium 4EAT
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the angled racks on cars all the time. Easy to put two kayaks on top, leaning towards one another. But is there room on top of an SG Forester to put two kayaks side by side sitting down (I think they call that mount a "saddle" & sometimes you can have rollers on one end to ease loading/unloading)? Seems it'd be better aerodynamically.

Can the stock crossbars safely hold two Kayaks and their mounts? Or should I be considering aftermarket bars as well as the mounts?

Thanks for any thoughts anyone would care to share!

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Definately not. Even two whitewater kayaks side by side on the factory rack doesn't work well. You'll have to stack them sideways or get an aftermarket rack system. With wider crossbars you can even mount the paddles on the roof as well.

I've got yakima ez rider towers, 58" crossbars, and a front fairing. Aftermarket rack systems also have an enormous amount of accessories as well.

·
04 XS Prem Gold
2004 2.5 XS Premium 4EAT
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, so I can't lay two kayaks down flat ... that means a "Stacker" type rack or a pair of "J Rack" types (e.g.; Thule Hull-a-Port Pro or Yakima BowDown). Does anyone know if there's room on top of an SG Forester for two "J Rack" types?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
459 Posts
Personally, I like the stackers, as they can easily fold down when not in use. You may have a shot at fitting two cradles up there but it will be tight. If nobody chimes in on that see if your outfitter store will let you test fit. One advantage to going that way is you'll also be able to mount the paddles in between the two cradles on the roof.

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
There is enough room for two J racks and kayaks...check out my pic. One is a sit in, the other is sit on top.

Michael

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Isn't the subaru kayak rack meant for two kayaks? Anyone use it, I am also looking into this for my 03 foz.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Looks like I will be getting the stocker then, thanks bbottomley I am hoping my forester is going to be set up like that a couple times this summer.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,732 Posts
Yes, that's the stock Subaru rack, made (and labeled) by Yakima. Check with our supporting vendors for a good price.

·
04 XS Prem Gold
2004 2.5 XS Premium 4EAT
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks folks. I'm on my way over to EMS now to buy a Kayak (Wilderness Systems Pamlico 135T) and Thule Stacker and other accouterments. 20% discount on the whole order today and tomorrow for qualifying organizations ... and the town CERT team is one. :)

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,732 Posts
Thanks folks. I'm on my way over to EMS now to buy a Kayak (Wilderness Systems Pamlico 135T) and Thule Stacker and other accouterments. 20% discount on the whole order today and tomorrow for qualifying organizations ... and the town CERT team is one. :)
It's nice when your service to the community gets recognized, Pat. Best 73s.

·
04 XS Prem Gold
2004 2.5 XS Premium 4EAT
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Again, thank you to all of you who replied. Took the 135T out for my maiden kayak voyage this past weekend. The Stacker held it rock steady on both the journey to and from the lake. <thumbs up> :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts