Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first post. I really wish that I found this website before some of the decisions that I have made.

Okay, here it goes. Since I have the 2.5X and it doesn't come with a roof rack, I decided to get the roof cross bars from the neighborhood dealership. If I had known about this site, I would have gotten the Yakima set up with the control towers.

Anyways, I'm looking into buy a kayak and I need a way to transport it safely. Can anyone give me any suggestions or advice on what kind of racks are available to me. I would like to carry the kayak flat and not on its side because it is going to be an ocean kayak.

I really feel lost about this whole thing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Folder!

A Thule rack and one of their cayak holders are always a safe bet –*and I am sure Yakima is also great quality.

Another option is buying a Feathercraft or a Klepper –*like we did –*then you have a choice whether to haul an assembled cayak on the roof, of fold it up and put it in the car.

:banana:

M

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,887 Posts
The regular Subaru kayak rack for the stock crossbars in the SG models (2003-2008) is actually made by (and marked) Yakima. It works fine for smaller sized boats.

See pic here.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Thule rack and one of their cayak holders are always a safe bet –*and I am sure Yakima is also great quality.

Another option is buying a Feathercraft or a Klepper –*like we did –*then you have a choice whether to haul an assembled cayak on the roof, of fold it up and put it in the car.

:banana:

M
I already have the Subaru crossbars, will Yakima or Thule Kayak racks fit on the Subaru factory crossbars?

Also getting a folding kayak is kind of out of the picture for me. I am going to be using it for kayak fishing.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The regular Subaru kayak rack for the stock crossbars in the SG models (2003-2008) is actually made by (and marked) Yakima. It works fine for smaller sized boats.
I have an 2009 2.5 X so it didn't come with anything and I got the crossbars made by Subaru. I'm not sure what you mean by "SG models (2003-2008". Wont that option be out of the picture anyway since I have an 09? Sorry I'm such a noob about this stuff.

Also I would rather have the kayak lay flat. I saw in your picture that they are slanted and on their sides.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,887 Posts
What I meant is that Subaru sells a Yakima-made rack as a standard accessory that fits the bars that come stock with SG models. Extrapolating, I would assume that their current rack fits their current (optional) bars.

Yes, this rack is intended for two kayaks, mounted on their sides. If you just want it to lie flat why not just lash it to your crossbars?

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
634 Posts
Hi-

I've put a canoe on top without my basket and a kayak with the basket still on and it worked perfectlly..I don't have a special carrier just Thule load bars and Yak basket..

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
I use a combination of Yakima Hully Rollers and Mako Saddles along with tie-down straps to transport my kayaks. As the images suggest, the rollers help "roll" the kayaks into/out of place while loading/unloading.

I also transport my kayaks "upside down" to keep water out of 'em. Full disclosure: I've used the Yakima stuff on my truck and old camper, but not yet on the Forester. It appears to me that the Yakima Railgrabs will attach to the factory roof rails, but I haven't tried 'em yet. I've got plenty of Yakima cross bars.

RailGrab:

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use a combination of Yakima Hully Rollers and Mako Saddles along with tie-down straps to transport my kayaks. As the images suggest, the rollers help "roll" the kayaks into/out of place while loading/unloading.

I also transport my kayaks "upside down" to keep water out of 'em. Full disclosure: I've used the Yakima stuff on my truck and old camper, but not yet on the Forester. It appears to me that the Yakima Railgrabs will attach to the factory roof rails, but I haven't tried 'em yet. I've got plenty of Yakima cross bars.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Okay guys. I think I have figured it out. Thanks to all of your help.

It seems that I can get the Hully Roller and Mako Saddles as crewzer suggested. Since I don't have the Yakima Crossbars, I will have to the the Universal Mighty Mounts or the Horizontal Mighty Mounts.

I'm a noob so I don't know how to imbed pics, but on the Yakima website, the picture of the Universal Mighty Mount looks like it will work.

The Hully Roller will cost me $89 and the mako saddles will cost $69 and the Universal Mounts will cost $34-40. It seems like the total set up will cost around $200.

I just don't know if I should get the Universal Mighty Mount or Horizontal Mighty Mount.

BTW... this not being able to post urls because I haven't made 15 posts yet is making this more time consuming than it should be.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Quimby,

I'm a noob so I don't know how to imbed pics, but on the Yakima website, the picture of the Universal Mighty Mount looks like it will work.

BTW... this not being able to post urls because I haven't made 15 posts yet is making this more time consuming than it should be.
Well, let’s see if we can help out a bit.

Since I don't have the Yakima Crossbars, I will have to (use) the Universal Mighty Mounts or the Horizontal Mighty Mounts.

The Hully Roller will cost me $89 and the mako saddles will cost $69 and the Universal Mounts will cost $34-40. It seems like the total set up will cost around $200.

I just don't know if I should get the Universal Mighty Mount or Horizontal Mighty Mount.
In general, I think you’ll be quite happy with a combination of the Hully Rollers and one of the Mako Saddle sets. Double check the descriptions and installation manuals, as these products might already come with all of the tie-down straps that you’ll need.

Yakima indicates that the Hully Rollers will work with either the Universal Mighty Mounts or the Horizontal Might Mounts on the Forester’s factory rails and cross bars. Being familiar with the Hully Rollers, I can see how they’ll work with the Horizontal Might Mounts. I can’t quite visualize how the Hully Rollers would work with the Universal Mighty Mounts.

Horizontal Mighty Mount:

Universal Mighty Mount:

Note that one wheel of each Hully Roller wheel pair includes a stop that allows the wheel to either free wheel (handy for loading/unloading) or lock in place (handy for transport).

There are two types of Mako Saddles. I have the originals, and their mounting hardware is designed for square- or round cross bars.

Hully Rollers (left set in picture) and original Mako Saddles (right set):

The newer Mako Aero Saddles include different mounts that look like they may work with the Subaru cross bars. The Aero’s cost $20 more than the “regulars”, but they might save you from buying a second set of Mighty Mounts.

Mako Aero Saddles:

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2004 2.0 XT MT
67 Posts
I am happy to hear that you have found a system that will work for you. My choice was the Thule aluminium bars (Rapid bars?) with a T-slot for the acccessories. For our two kayaks I have one set of Thule 874 saddles (all rubber) and one set of Thule 873 saddles ("Hydroglide") where the front saddles are rubber and the rear are felt pads. When paddling alone I find it easiest to put the kayak in the Hydroglide where I can just slide it in position from the rear.

Under the bumper there are good anchor points for tying down the bow. I used webbing straps at the rope ends to avoid the thin line to wear the bumper paintwork.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
So this is my first post. I really wish that I found this website before some of the decisions that I have made.

Okay, here it goes. Since I have the 2.5X and it doesn't come with a roof rack, I decided to get the roof cross bars from the neighborhood dealership. If I had known about this site, I would have gotten the Yakima set up with the control towers.

Anyways, I'm looking into buy a kayak and I need a way to transport it safely. Can anyone give me any suggestions or advice on what kind of racks are available to me. I would like to carry the kayak flat and not on its side because it is going to be an ocean kayak.

I really feel lost about this whole thing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
I just went through this same thing on my MY10 (same rack). The auxilliary (tower mounted) crossbar and rack system that Subie sells is Yakima. IF, you decide to attach a cradle type carrier to the crossbars that are optional and mounted between the rail system, I'd want to see a front and rear tiedown along with a belly strap on that boat. But with a Yakima tower and bar setup (same as Subies) with the same cradle(s), a belly type strap at each crossbar will be fine without the bow and stern tiedowns that are a pain to use (not only the labor to lash up, but you can't open your hood or hatch when they are in place). Yakima isn't cheap, but it's bulletproof.

Bob

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for their insights on this topic. I guess there are lots of options I could take. When I first started looking around I thought I was kind of "up a creek without a paddle."

Crewzer,

Thanks for showing me that Aero Makos. I think I might want to go with those.

I guess this is a question to throw out to anyone who knows, but....

How lenient or forgiving when it comes to Yakima and returning or exchanging if something doesn't fit right or doesn't work the way I want it to? Or does it depend more on the retailer?

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
I've bought all of my Yakima stuff (quite a bit, actually) from REI and Dick's Sporting Goods (x-Galyans). Both accept returns; check their respective policies (in the links).

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've bought all of my Yakima stuff (quite a bit, actually) from REI, Dick's Sporting Goods(x-Galyans). Both accept returns; check their respective policies (in the links).

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Thanks again Crewzer. Luckily I have both REI and Dicks relatively close to my house. Have you heard of racknroad.com? I guess they have some retail stores close to my house as well.

Exploring racknroad.com I also discovered the EvenKeel system by Yakima. I guess this is another option people like me can take.

A complete system for $100, I just have some reservations about how it attaches to the crossbar. It seems like it just slips onto the crossbar without any bots or screws or any form of tightening.

At this point I'm still kind of leaning towards the Hully and Mako system. Even though it is going to cost more, I just like the ideas of the rollers.

I guess this is turning out to be a productive day at work. I'm not so sure if my boss will agree.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Quimby,

The EvenKeel appears to be new since I bought my Yakima stuff. The EvenKeel page and instructions suggest to me that it would work with the Subaru crossbars:

Fits directly to round, square and most factory crossbars
It looks pretty good, especially for the price, but I really do like the Hully Roller solution.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again Crewzer.

I didn't notice that the knob on the right was for tightening the clamp. That makes me feel more assured if I were to go with that option.

Just curious, what set up do you have currently?

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Lat time I used my Yak stuff for our kayaks was Hully Rollers on the rear and (original) Mako Saddles on the front. I expect for this configuration to work well for a long time.

I'm a fairly big guy (6'-7", 260 lbs) and still in reasonably good shape, I suppose. However, I'm also 58 years old, and loading/unloading isn't getting any easier. The Hully Roller + Mako Saddle combo works really well for me.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
Lat time I used my Yak stuff for our kayaks was Hully Rollers on the rear and (original) Mako Saddles on the front. I expect for this configuration to work well for a long time.

I'm a fairly big guy (6'-7", 260 lbs) and still in reasonably good shape, I suppose. However, I'm also 58 years old, and loading/unloading isn't getting any easier. The Hully Roller + Mako Saddle combo works really well for me.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
The Hullyroller is a great product as long as you don't scratch up the rear of your roof using it. I'm sure you use padding there.
But a wonderful alternative for whoever is looking to buy yamika is the telescoping arm Boat Loader, Product # 8004018. Especially well suited to tall people this item makes loading an easy one person job (but you need to be able to easily reach the hull from the ground when it's up there).

Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts