Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 forester sport xt
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Kawaii for 2 1/2 weeks on Monday. Any places in particular that I should visit?

·
Registered
03 2.5 X
769 Posts
Yep its Kauai....but pronounced Kawaii :biggrin:

If you are into hiking, walk (at least part) of the Kalalau trail along the Na Pali coast. Starts at end of the road on the North Shore.

Definately check out this book:

The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook - Kauai Revealed

So many tips/things to do. Kauai is my favorite Hawaiian Island, so lush, laid back and beautiful!

Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,184 Posts
Here's my list...

Polihale State Park - It's the southern end of the N'apali coast, an huge beach with no lifeguards, so be careful. Fantastic views of the cliffs and beautiful beach. Great place to spend the day and ENORMOUS and uncrowded! The road into it is dirt and has some major potholes at the end.

Waimea Canyon - It's breathtaking and can be seen just off the road from a tourist point. PM me and I can give you directions to a trail head to hike into it, very worthwhile.

Kalalau lookout - This can be done same trip as Waimea. Its the end of the road in Kokee State park. Park in the lot and walk down the trail. You don't have to go down this trail too far, just half mile or so max. It keeps going deep into the rain forest/swamp which was at one point the wettest spot on earth and both times I've been into it, my partner made me turn back. When you see the breathtaking view, you've found it.

N'apali coast hike - This is an absolute must see. You start from the north side (go early in the morning) from K'ei Beach I believe, it's the end of the road on the north side. Two parts to this one. First runs along the coast to a beach that's only accessible from this trail. Second part shoots straight inland along a river and ends at a massive waterfall where you can go swimming. This is a pretty long hike. It took about 7 hours round trip for me and my wife, stopping at the waterfall for quite awhile, it was also pouring rain for the last half, so that slowed us down. If you just go to the beach and back, that's not as tough. Bring lots of water and granola bars!

I highly recommend a 4wd vehicle of some kind. It doesn't matter most of the time, but when getting to things to actually park and Polihale where it's a few miles of dirt road and some big potholes, you'll appreciate the ground clearance and added traction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts