Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No Kartboy bashing here, I'm a happy customer:D . I like the results of my install and just need to clear up a few questions before I submit my comments to Scoobymods.

Before sf.com went down there was a thread where a MY06 had clearance problems with the trim plate when trying to install the Kartboy SS specific to the Forester. So when I made my purchase I asked Tom what the resolution was and what was the correct SS to purchase. Soon I had the Legacy SS in hand but had two problems during the install, it wasn't the thirty minutes I'd expected. Please reply if your MY06 kb ss was different than my install.

#1. Removing the OEM shifter from the socket wasn't happening. I read all the sf.com posts, all the "be firm", "keep trying" and "turn 180 and pull back" with no go. Now me and my adult son were putting our 400lbs into it and nothing. We even distorted the metal housing pulling the darn thing back-n-down. So via Scoobymods I read that the STI shifter needed a clip pliers to remove the spring clip and you remove the whole plastic socket. Came out fine that way. I took a pic of the two shifters.

#2. With the new shifter installed, once the trim plate was installed I couldn't engage 1,3,5. See photo #2. The trim plate prevented the forward linkage from moving forward. Tom and others just said to reverse/180 the trim plate but that left the later install of the rubber boot with nothing to secure to, what a getto solution. Also the under carpet pad would not be in the OEM location. Photo#3&4 shows how I plasma cutter trimmed the trim plate then cleaned it up. You'll need to remove one of the rubber boot fasteners. I should of removed more, there is only about 2mm clearance in 5th.

So I've read that others have 06's with KBss. Did you have the same problems removing the OEM shifter or clearance?

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
2005 80 CC
550 Posts
Hi guys
yes the Rear shifter bushing seem to cause a problem on the new 06's. it is not recomended to install them at this time.
TODD i put the difference for the $$ in the package today.
the front shifter bushings will work fine with the short shifter.
if anyone has the rear bushings and wants to return them please email me and i will take them back. i'm looking into an easy solution to the problem

Tom

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom, So the rear shifter bushing is raising the shifter socket? Do you want my OEM one to get dimensions?

Without another <MY06 Forester with the SS and bushings I can't compare. Seems fine once I trimed things a bit.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, a big improvement. I did f/r bushings, SS and tranny bushings at one time, fyi. Shifts were shorter, crisper (rubbery feeling turned harder, but not a metal/metal feel) and more confident. Worth every penny:cool:

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Do you think that not installing the rear bushings are going to make a difference? It light of your issues, Tom has refunded me the money for the rear bushings and is just sending me everything else.

·
11 sec club
04 Cayenne TT
1,486 Posts
You can have the rear bushing when you pry it from my cold, dead shifting hand....

Despite the clearance issues, I still love the feel. I took a cutting wheel and came from the underside of the plate so that I could keep the one stud there for the boot. I just hd to bend it up a little. No problems since then. I didn't make the cut very pretty since it is hidden (except for now GASP!).

Don't feel bad, I tried the same thing when removing the stocker before thinking that I should check it "just in case mine's different".

Here's a few pics of the interference and the plate before/after shots.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
SO did you bend the shifter boot stud up because of a clearence issue or because it made it easier to cut?
I hope they'll just charge me the difference instead of the full retail cost, cause that doesn't seem like a big deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts