Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I order this KB SS from Rally Sport Direct. I used their parts picker and order KB Part #KB-001-LEG.

It arrives today so I run out to throw it in the car only to find out that it is not the correct one. I look at the package, it says it is the correct one, but the ball joint on the KB SS is larger and the barrel the shift fork connects to is wider the the OEM.

I was under the impression that the '08 FSXT used the larger size fittings. Did I get the wrong shifter or did I get a freak from Subaru?

·
aka DMax in Alaska
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I contacted Rally Sport Direct and they have been very helpful in trying to resolve this.

This was their initial reply...

Just heard back from Kartboy, he says that he has seen this before where Subaru was putting left over shifter assemblies from the previous generations. He said in order to confirm we will need to see a picture of it compared to the stock shifter. Let me know if that will be possible for you to do that, sorry to be an inconvenience.

So, I re-pulled the OEM shifter and I took photos of the Kartboy Shifter and the OEM Shifter for comparison and I also took some measurements. This was the reply I received this morning...

Tom at Kartboy just got back to me this morning, he said that your car has got some funky mid year shifter setup in there. He has only seen that once before. So he was saying that the only one that would be close to fitting would be the shifter for the early RS, but he does not think that the length of the lower portion of the shifter will work.

Has anyone here heard of such a thing?

Is it possible to change to ball socket to the correct one for the model year?

I want to install a short throw shifter, any recommendations?

Click image to enlarge

·
aka DMax in Alaska
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well...here is the latest...The shifter on the right is out of my '08 FSXT. The one on the left is from my son's '99 Forester S. Just thought I'd compare the two to show to Kartboy and hopefully help to draw a conclusion.

Click to enlarge

RSD has been working with me get to the bottom of this and Tom of Kartboy has been involved too. Here is Tom's latest response to the above picture.

The lower ball and the width are the same as the FXT ones that you have there. BUT I think the length on the FXT one from the center pivot to the bottom ball is way off from what I think he'll need. Its just some way oddball shifter that he has in there. :( "

After reading Tom's response, I am at a loose on which way to turn. I was thinking about a Mode Racing Double Adjustable...any thoughts on these? Anyone use their shifters?

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
It looks like you already have short shifter assembly. Are you sure it does not have STI short shifter assembly?

·
aka DMax in Alaska
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not sure what it is Augie. If someone could verify that, it would sure help. I thought if anyone was going to it would be Tom but he's calling it odd".

·
aka DMax in Alaska
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mystery solved. It was suggested that I have our local Subie dealer run the VIN and sure enough, it came from the factory with a short shifter installed.

I'd sure like to know how much throw there was before it was installed. This short shifter doesn't seem short at all. Anyway, I now have a starting point.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^Sorry, no pictures. Actually, I didn't install it. It came from the Subie factory pre-installed.

Do you have the SPT STI Short Shifter or another? If you get or already have a Cobb Tuning/Mode Racing Double Adjustable or a KartBoy, they are actually quite simple and only take about 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
08 forester sport xt 5spd
459 Posts
i think the wife may has purchased the kartboy short shifter for 1 of my xmas gifts (hasn't arrived yet)
Geez i hope my 08 fsxt doesnt already have a short throw installed, the throw sure feels as though it could be improved, from what i have heard going from oem to short is like night and day. I have never driven another 5spd forester so i have nothing to compare to, for my sake i hope i dont run into this same problem. When i purchased the used 08 fsxt it came equip w/ sti emblemed wheels and the front sti lip - leaves me wondering maybe these have some other upgraded parts i'm not aware of. If short is already equiped do you think its possible to change bushings to reduce play and increase efficiency? ............ if the wife made the purchase when it arrives i will post my findings here and also maybe a new thread. wish me luck and some more mild New England winter days

1 - 11 of 11 Posts