Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so today I drove my 2004 Forester XT up on my new Rhino ramps and decided to install the front shifter bushings and the rear stay shifter bushing.

I tried to do the rear for the better part of 2 hours, but I could NOT force the shift rod through the opening of the new rear bushing. I had it oriented perfectly according to Kartboy and Scoobymods. I was just barely able to get my hands in there, but there were many times where (with the front bushings off and the front of the rod loose for access) I tried to force that sucker in there, but couldn't! It's as if it's a few mm too smal for the rod to fitl.

I gave up just 20 minutes ago and decided to finish by putting the stocker rear on with the new front bushings. I must have been under my Forester for 2 hours. I know the underside VERY well now, haha. :chair:

The fronts took a handful of minutes, and putting the rear stock stay bushing on, it took no more than a minute. With just the front changed up, it feels far better than before and I'm glad I did it.

Has anyone had issues installing the Kartboy rear shifter bushing? It's as if the shift rod is just a tad too thick. Any recommendations? It's a very tight spot what with the exhaust and drive shaft in place!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I suppose my next thing to do would be to disconnect the front from the bushing next, and to remove the pivot bushing to give it even more throw possibly.

What does everyone here think? Maybe then I can get the rear bushing installed, but have enough throw on the shift rod to be able to force it in.

In case you're wondering, I've used a lot of white lithium greased, so it's not a matter of lubrication! :p

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
welcome to the wonderful world of aftermarket polyurethane bushings. some work great, some don't.

looking at a 6 spd shifter i have off the car right now it might be easier to remove the entire assembly and put it in a vise to get that rear bushing on. if you can get the bushing started on the shift rod then use a drift and a mallet? just an idea.

polyurethane is so much stiffer that it's going to be a pain to get it over that initial hump on the shift rod. it will eventually go, just gotta outsmart it or use a lot of elbow grease.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking of doing on my second post.

I'll most likely end up doing that tomorrow. I'll also have a look at the pivot bushing. I know it'll have to be replaced, I just didn't order one yet. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts