Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Volvo 850 T-5
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I am close to buying a 2004 Forester X and I was wondering if a K&N cold-air intake is a good mod? I know they add power but I was wondering: Will they reduce car life in any way? Are there any downfalls to having one? I know in general they allow the engine to breath better in-turn increasing power so my gut says they are fine but let me know what you think.

-Thanks

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS 4EAT
4 Posts
I installed a cold air intake on my 03 XS Automatic. I didn't get added horspôwer but I did get quicker responce and more fuel economy.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
:icon_frown:

I just put a K&N filter in (new, havent cleaned/oiled it yet).
It's not that bad, just not really any sizable improvement. The oil isn't really that big of a problem I've never had any problems with the MAF sensor, but on used oil analysis K&N generally show slightly more dirt allowed through than a paper filter. As a general rule, the better the flow, the worse the filtration.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
It's not that bad, just not really any sizable improvement. The oil isn't really that big of a problem I've never had any problems with the MAF sensor, but on used oil analysis K&N generally show slightly more dirt allowed through than a paper filter. As a general rule, the better the flow, the worse the filtration.
Thank you, think I'll sell it and go back to stock. I'll take cleaner filtration before better airflow anyday

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
942 Posts
Thank you, think I'll sell it and go back to stock. I'll take cleaner filtration before better airflow anyday
:bacon: the oil like i said "some times" can cause issues, but if so you can get maf cleaner and spray it off.... nothing to hard. i'd stick to stock or a dry panel. Rallysport sells a ARC panel for 27.00 bucks compared to K&N filters.... IDK just my .02 cents.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
I like the Green Filter oiled gauze type myself. I've used K&N for years and the Green Filters are just built better and use better materials IMHO. I just cleaned and re-oiled mine and it's still in great shape at 100K+ miles on my Forester. I can't say you'll see any sort of power improvement. It's mostly a savings issue since you can re-use it. I know people talk about oil on the MAF issues. This can happen if you over oil the filter. What I do is after oiling it, I let it sit overnight on some shop towels to wick away any excess oil. I haven't had a problem yet, but I do frequently clean my MAF with MAF cleaner just in case.

http://www.scoobymods.com/green-filter-air-filter-t2271.html?t=2271

My oil analysis shows good filtration too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts