Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is giving me a K&N Air filter to put into my 04 XT. I've heard that this can add a (very slight) amount of power, and possibly help with gas mileage a bit. Anyone out there have a K&N in their XT? If so, notice any real difference either with performance or gas mileage?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had one in my 04 XT for the last year (16,000+ miles). I've noticed no difference in performance or milage, but I can hear the turbo better!

·
Premium Member
03 2.5X 5MT
653 Posts
I've got one in my Non-turbo and I think (or it may be I want to) I notice a slight difference.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
I didn't notice a change when mine went in...if there was it was slight. Just a great filter that will last the life of your ride and then some.;)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
Just be careful to not over-oil it after a cleaning, or you could gunk up your MAF sensor.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,739 Posts
I might have gotten 1 MPG gain, but my Forester was still young and this could have just been due to break-in.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had it for about 10K and didn't noticed any difference.

·
6/22/76 - 12/21/14 , Gone but not forgotten
742 Posts
I've had mine for over 20K.

I really felt the difference!!!!

In terms of having not to buy a new air filter every year ;) It's a great purchase though

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Not sure about performance increase, but I like mine anyway.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
go with the environmentally friendlty reuseable option, although I'm convinced the recirv valve is a little (and only a very little) louder when acting as a dump valve....

Simon

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Just got mine, part number 33-2075. Seemed a little loose (smaller) compared with the stocker when installing it. But its in. Think I hear the turbo a little more, but not much different. Maybe, if anything, very slightly reduced lag.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought into the claims but never felt any seat-of-the pants increase whatsoever, and I tried it on both the SVX and my last WRX. True, it will last longer than the paper element but then there's the issue of cleaning/re-oiling. Use too much oil and you risk messing with the MAF. So...the question is, is no percieved power increase worth it to you, just to not have to replace a paper filter once a year?

Needless to say I think not, I switched back to paper...:tissue:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
I definately have more turbo/BOV noise with the K&N fitted....not sure why!

Simon

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
BlueDevil said:
check out the amsoil ea filters. same warranty mumbo jumbo as a k&n with no oiling. when it gets dirty, you just vacuum it off.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaa.aspx
I'm with BlueDevil on this......I decided to go with the new Amsoil ea filter instead of K & N...... much easier to clean & less expensive too! :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Just curious, I remember reading a while back about another brand air filter that people were using inplace of the K&N. I think it was green stuff?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts