Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What fun :shock:

but thank go I did, with the help from my brother in law. the pullys were F***ed.

Anyone else change their own or let the dealers sort that out

regards

Matt W

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Mine will be done by the Dealer...........4,000kms to go for 75,000km Service and belt change. :( :( :( :(

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just need to replace my Auto box oil ( 9.5Ltr :shock: ) next weekend

and I will be happer.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup just what i saw yesterday. glad I replaced all the pullys as they where not going to last much longers. the barings where getting buggered

how much to subaru charge for doing the timing belt?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't change it myself - my friendly non dealer Subaru expert does it for me.
Reason is simply the time - which is why I understand the main dealers charge quite a bit. :roll:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took us about 3 hours. Rad out, belts off, even the grill off to make room for taking the crank nut off

But fun :evil:

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,828 Posts
I did it many years ago on a Mazda 626. Never want to do it again.

One reaches a point in life when the factors regarding the tradeoff between hassle and cost start to move away from hassle and in favor of cost. My first realization of that was when I vowed that I'd never again drive to the next state just for a minor bargain.

·
Administrator
15,340 Posts
Casper said:
Mine will be done by the Dealer...........4,000kms to go for 75,000km Service and belt change. :( :( :( :(

Why's that - 49 months or 100,000 Km ? Hang on - it can't be 49 months old, so why at 75,000Km ?

Mine will be 49 months old in August - I won't have done 100K Km by then, especially as my motor was rebuilt at 17,000 Km.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Kevin said:
Casper said:

Why's that - 49 months or 100,000 Km ? Hang on - it can't be 49 months old, so why at 75,000Km ?

Mine will be 49 months old in August - I won't have done 100K Km by then, especially as my motor was rebuilt at 17,000 Km.
:oops: :oops: :oops: my error I thought it was 75,000kms like my old VL Commodore, more time to save $'s & ¢'s for when it comes around....... me likey! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
For some bizzare reason the interval varies depending where you are in the world ...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how often do you lot get cars serviced. as I do not drive more than 5-6K a year myself

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Oil and filter every 6 months

Had cam belt done as soon as I bought it.

Every thing else gets done when needed

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nich B said:
Oil and filter every 6 months

Had cam belt done as soon as I bought it.

Every thing else gets done when needed
So the same with a green filter. clean it.

but hwo many miles do you drive a year?

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
replaced filter with Sti filter

take it out and clean it, when it starts to look a bit jaded Ill replace with same

Mileage less than 5000, mostly town, with occaisonal longer trips, to include some high speed European jaunts

Oil fully synthetic Shell 5/40

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm a high mileage person - 25,000 miles a year or so including annual Euro jaunt. Feels like its services every other week but oil & filter every 6,000 miles other jobs as necessary according to service schedule.
BUT I do not use a Subaru main dealer just the place that has looked after all my previous cars who is experienced but not as costly as a main dealer. But then his premises are not quite the usual gleaming palace they run :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts