Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Purchased a Forester e- boxer hybrid for my wife and collecting it on the 2nd Jan. I have read some place that a spare tyre is not include.??

If this is the case what does one do if you have a puncture?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,560 Posts
@Ozzie welcome to the forum from Oregon!

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,442 Posts
Contemporary Subarus have the small 'donut' spare, deeply hidden down below the rear storage space.

Edit: Yes, now I see that this is talking about the hybrid. My error.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Contemporary Subarus have the small 'donut' spare, deeply hidden down below the rear storage space.
It's the hybrid, are you sure or are you just going off non hybrids?

"Because the battery is located on the rear axle, the E-Boxer car not only has a lower center of gravity than the traditional ICE model, they also have a better weight distribution. Both characteristics should improve the handling and rising quality of both vehicles. "

I willing to bet that's why no spare.

Just Purchased a Forester e- boxer hybrid for my wife and collecting it on the 2nd Jan. I have read some place that a spare tyre is not include.??

if it's true, then it comes with those nice overpriced run flat tires that will get you about 50 miles.

I found this on Google.

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,341 Posts
The batteries use the spare wheel space. In the UK they supply a can of sealant to put in the tyre through the valve to try and seal the puncture. Doesn't always work.

One reason I shan't buy a hybrid, the others being the considerable price rise which far exceeds any fuel savings I'd make on my annual mileage, and deletion of the sun roof from the standard model (this may be a UK non-feature).

·
Registered
2003 Forester AT
103 Posts
As @orienteer mentioned, an aerosol can of sealant e.g. "Fix-a-Flat" is the solution offered in most cases. It is actually becoming increasingly common for a spare to not be included. I'd rather have one myself, but it doesn't make sense for the "typical" user. Most people fail to maintain the spare so it's often flat when needed, plus you can only go a limited distance at a low rate of speed, so it's not considered practical for a lot of people. However, living out in the sticks where there's sometimes no cell signal, you won't find me driving a vehicle without at least a donut.

For what it's worth, they actually probably do not in fact have run-flat tires. A lot of the german manufacturers do this, but from what I've seen the japanese automakers tuck a can of aerosol sealant in there and call it a day. Again, talking about practicality, most people won't want the cost and handling associated with run-flats.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
2 Posts

Previous Crosstrek Hybrids indeed did not have a spare in the trunk due to 1) weight saving in order to maximize fuel ratings for a full time AWD vehicle and 2) space constraints in the trunk to house part of the hybrid battery running along the length of the underside of the body, but also to house the second battery. There were 3 batteries in the car. The hybrid battery under the vehicle, the trunk battery which was the ignition battery (you'd use this one for jump starts as well) and the battery in the engine bay which was the auto start/stop ignition battery.
These hybrids came with the emergency jack kit along with a can of fix a flat. Keep in mind you also have roadside assistamce included with the car for 3 years/36k qhoch gets extended along with an extended Gold Pllus Subaru Warranty.

Hope this helps! It most likely pertains to the new Forester as well.

Jon

·
Registered
Forester e-Boxer
187 Posts

I think your original question was answered already but I am very interested to hear experiences how the new e-boxer feels in real use. On general section there is thread called "e-boxer roundup". That might be good place to share views. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have an eboxer, there is a puncture repair kit provided instead of a tyre. It’ll get you to a tyre centre for replacement, or call Subaru assist a free service on new scoobies.

·
Registered
2 Posts

There’s a puncture repair kit, a cylinder full of gunk that you squirt into the tyre and the true inflates.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
129 Posts
What a joke, fix o flat. Even the regular Forester spare is a joke but that will at least get you home.
getting a flat may be more rare today but they seem to happen in the worst times and places.
Subaru is know for safety but not this time.
For me and a spare I normally use the spare in the trunk but on an extended outing away from cell phone coverage I purchased a tilt away full size spare tire holder that fits in my 2 inch trailer hitch and wired from the exterior trailer plug. Purchased a used tire and original used wheel to match and of course a TPMS sensor. An Autel 508 TPMS reset tool, heavy duty springs, struts to handle the extra load.
So for around $2,500.00 and do it yourself you can have a real spare.
If you pay someone to do it easy double that.
At least I won't have to wait for a spring recall or worst drag my *** end down the highway.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
154 Posts
My strategy is to have a puncture repair kit and to make sure I know how to use it. (I have been for decades, no problems ever with a good plug done right with extra cement, provided you never try to drive on the flat earlier but stop as soon as the TPMS warning kicks off.) Tire inflator/sealer spray means you loose the tire and with AWD that you now must replace all four tires to protect the differentials unless the tires were new.. Tire shops will refuse to fix a tire filled with tire sealant as their labor charge to clean it out is more than the cost of the tire.
Add on-board air, a small emergency compressor costs $20-$50 running off the 12 volt power socket, to refill after you plug the tire. My compact spare is my plan B therefore only. You can buy these on Amazon but with your car you will loose trunk space. You might need it though to get to a safe spot to plug the tire. Unless you want to use tire sealant and ruin the flat tire for good (and thus have to replace all four as above.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts