Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2003 Forester X 4EAT and a 2006 Outback Limited 4EAT.

It is my understanding from reading MANY threads on here (with somewhat conflicting information) that my cars USUALLY have about a 60/40 split front to rear if in Drive. And that sometimes it can get at slanted as 90/10, and sometimes as even as 50/50.

I have also read that if you start in 1 or 2 (meaning shifter is in 1 or 2, not 1st or second gear in Drive) that the split is automatically 50/50 and that a clutch prevents binding in turns.

Is this true?

I have done searches that led me to this conclusion, but I read some other information that claims that each transmission and model year are different. My purpose for this is for slow offroad driving, and/or getting up and down a steep driveway with snow on it when we're in the mountains. I want to know if there are any benefits to keeping it in 2nd other than the engine braking to limit speed without brakes.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,387 Posts
This has been addressed a thousand times on here...with multiple corrections, additions, deletions, flames, threats, death wishes... :)

I'm sure someone will respond.

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAHAHA I know. That's why I am so confused.

Maybe have a sticky that simply states clearly.

"IF YOU HAVE THIS TRANSMISSION YOUR DEFAULT (BEFORE INCLEMENT CONDITIONS) DRIVE SPLIT IS ___ WHILE IN DRIVE AND ___ WHILE IN 1 or 2 ON THE SHIFTER"

I almost did want to ask due to all the conflicting information I have read. I am tempted to just call/write Subaru. It's not in the Subaru AWD explained doc, or the manual (so no RTFM threats), etc...

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
If you have the MPT layout, then its mostly 90:10 progressing to a NOMINAL (not real) 50:50 as the transfer clutch locks.

If you have VTD then its always the static torque split (60:40 is quoted, but its actually about 57:43 if you measure it) unless slip occurs when the torque split will depned on the amount of locking of the controlled clutch pack within the centre diff.

Simon

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So: I have the MPT.

I know the 90:10 and 50:50 part. However, what I am asking is this: Will starting out with the shifter in 1 or 2 give me full time 50:50? I get conflicting answers on this. I am beginning to think that no one knows.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
So: I have the MPT.

I know the 90:10 and 50:50 part. However, what I am asking is this: Will starting out with the shifter in 1 or 2 give me full time 50:50? I get conflicting answers on this. I am beginning to think that no one knows.
Yes it will. If you go out and play in the snow you can really see how it reacts. 1&2 gives you the split, but in 1 you'll just spin all 4 tires. Theres also a mod to force the MPT to lock up. The mpt unfortunately is a pretty terrible setup for offroading, but is pretty good for a daily driver. The VTD setup is very good, I'm pretty disappointed that subaru didn't put it in all XT models at least.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
From my (not so pleasant) experience of placing my 04 FXT 4EAT on a Dynapack dyno a long time ago, I can positively confirm that the fronts and rears spin at the exact same rate in 1st and 2nd gear... so yes, 50:50 is correct.

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

As for testing it on snow... that will have to wait until we move. We don't get too much down here. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts