Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored a 1998 Forester L with 122K miles today for $5K.

The body and interior is in excellent condition and the owner showed detailed records of key maintenance on the following: check engine sensor, head gasket cover, new radiator , timing belt, camshaft seal and water pump. Also, the car drives nicely.

Overall, I feel good about the purchase and (think) I have a great deal. Of course, I will be taking it to a mechanic for a second look. Anything I should look out for/ask the mechanic to look out for?

I'm excited to take the car out for a little off-roading to the mountains, but want to be sure that all is in check....

The more advice, the better!

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
5 k sounds like a decent price

If headgaskets were done, timing belt was done, not much more to look for

Generally besides for the headgasket issue the SF's are bullet proof

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,070 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me too, you have all the normal issues covered already. good luck and welcome :)

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,698 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
820 Posts
Coolness! :D I picked up my 2001 S last friday. 49k miles, $15k, not a scratch on it. I never owned a car with heated seats before. :)

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Bravo12 said:
Coolness! :D I picked up my 2001 S last friday. 49k miles, $15k, not a scratch on it. I never owned a car with heated seats before. :)
Heated seats are great after sledding with your kid all day, then having to drive home. It is only a 15 minute drive but not as cold of a 15 minutes anymore.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Another newbie here. Less than 300 miles of driving in it and I'm in love with this vehicle. No major shortcomings that I can see, as of yet (frameless doors, which I see no advantage of, don't count). The dual stage heated seats are great and the superb lower thigh support is a very nice feature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts