Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester LL Bean Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! Looks like a great bunch here!

Just purchased a 1999 Forester L with 65000 miles. Real clean and drives very nice, but... Was happy... not so much now.

Trans delay into drive started day two after purchase. Fluid looks clean, but pan gasket is seeping, so oil change with filter and new gasket this weekend. Possibly some Trans-X as well, unless it is advised against.

Also, checked front differential fluid and seems to contain burnt trans fluid! Anyone seen this before? I'll be changing differential oils as well. What are the preferred recommendations from you Subaru fans?

My last Subaru vehicles were way in the past. Had a '78 or '79 Front Wheel Drive and an '80 Four Wheel Drive. They were both very dependable although the '80 ate tires and CV joints.

I am real hopeful for this to be a better purchase than it seems to be at the moment. Wish me luck, if you will.

Advice and comments happily accepted!

PS: Nice to have found this site!

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,740 Posts
Welcome back to Subaru. Eventhough it has low miles, it is a 11 year old car. Just replace that gasket and fluid change, and she should be good to go.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,088 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester, sorry to hear of the problems. If you don't know the vehicle sevice history, you'll have to catch up & hopefully that'll clear up some of the issues. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Bienvenido from the Mission.

Good luck with the repairs!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Welcome, glad you found us.

Too bad about the problems, but you should notice a difference when you do a complete flush of the tranny fluid. You never know what has been properly serviced, either by the dealer or the previous owner, unless you have some service records to go by, so expect to do some maintenance to get it up to standards.
My mechanic (Subaru tech) tells me the most neglected service items on Subie trade-ins are the diff fluids and tranny fluids. Consider doing a coolant change and add Subaru's coolant conditioner that could help avoid the dreaded head gasket issues that earlier Foresters were plagued with. It's still somewhat of an issue with later models, but less now.

Good luck with your new ride and check out the http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f67/official-washington-forester-owners-list-55547/ you might find some advice locally when you need it.

·
Registered
2006 Forester LL Bean Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks!

Thanks for all of the welcoming!

I changed both of the transmission filters and fluid adding about 12oz of trans-X for good measure. Quickly goes into drive now! Pretty sure it was just the fluid/filter change that resolved the "slow into drive" issue, but the X can't hurt. The job was somewhat vocabulary expanding due to the lack of a pan gasket and the RTV type sealant. Call me old fashioned, but I like to have the gasket. Things just come apart much better for me!

I also changed the front differential oil. I'll do the rear differential when it stops raining here in the NW land of moss and webbed feet. Front differential oil was pretty bad/burnt smelling, but it did appear to be oil and not the trans fluid I had thought it to be. Hoping for the best on the health of the differential! It seems to operate fine and quietly.

Well, thanks again for your welcoming!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts