Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
98 S-TB
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i had Andy, who is the Brains behind the ESL Live ecu fit a newly developed ESL mappable board to my 98 Forester Auto, the first in the UK!
He's been developing the ESL Live for the non mapable years 97-98, Impreza and Forester, which includes the Auto, as it uses the standard ecu, so the auto ecu can still talk to it.
This ECU will be available in a few months, as mine is a test bed for it. So far it has a copy map, same as a standard ecu, so we can do a few miles worth of testing, once it's been given the all clear, it will be all systems go for the production of these, which will open up a market for the previously non mappable 97/98 cars, especially the Auto. Non autos will also benefit as they're the cheapest option into this league, and benefits in keeping the full safety features of the standard ecu.
I'm running a 95 Impeza RA with the ESL Live, at 350bhp, 330ft/lb. Drives as standard, until you nail it!
There are many retailers/mappers for these, at much better prices than the Apexi's, simtec etc.
Here's a link to their site:
Enduring Solutions Limited

Thanks, Mit

·
Registered
98 S-TB
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, from what i can gather, the Dastek alters the signals from/to the ecu, and plugs in line of it. The ESL fits inside the ecu, and replaces the standard map, not alter it. In effect, it's a new ecu, not a signal interruption like the Dastec, so will be much more reliable, as the ecu isn't being conned, it's been replaced.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
sounds very cool... many month's worth of £60s from now my pipedream of a classic jdm wrx estate and my restored mint SF5 Q cars running a combined 700brake and 800lbsft will be realised. one day.

in the meantime, I am so jealous :))))

looking forward to some youtube action ... ??

mike

·
Registered
98 S-TB
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also forgot to mention you can go mafless, have launch control, flat shifting and dual maps! :biggrin:

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
It is something that is long overdue....but too late for the T/tb now. I will be changing the car in 18/24 months and would not want to increase the power on an engine that is now 12 yrs old and 110k miles. Does it make any difference if the Forester is a JDM or EU/UK spec ? I did offer the T/tb as a test bed when ESL were asking for one but never even had a 'thanks but no thanks' !

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
98 S-TB
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UK and Japanese cars can be done, their currently trying different ecu's.
It was pure accident that i got the ecu, my mapper is good friends with Andy at ESL, had my RA mapped, and popped over to meet Andy, next thing we were talking about the Forester, and it all went from there. I guess i'm in his area, which makes things easier.
He seems like a nice chap, and the lack of a reply maybe an oversight?

·
Registered
2004 WRX PPP Wagon Manual
153 Posts
Hi Tim
Great news
Now you have some power it sounds like we need to have a Rolling Adrenaline Car Evaluation :N_poke: (the forester not the RA)
Let me know when you are free and I will pop over and we can see how they compare.

John.

·
Registered
98 S-TB
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi John, this is just a test ecu, with standard map, it will be coming off after the test, but hopefully will have one in my ecu soon. When i do, it will be set up for boring old economy, the RA's the toy, this is the dog car!! :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/TB Automatic
90 Posts
Just to resurrect an old post:
Has anyone any more info on this mappable ESL board for the Auto's?

·
2,966 Posts
I believe that after the trial run it's now dead !
Too complicated to achieve the desired result.

Like me, make do with wot ya got !!!

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
1997 Forester S/TB Automatic
90 Posts
I believe that after the trial run it's now dead !
Too complicated to achieve the desired result.

Like me, make do with wot ya got !!!

Cheers

Brian
Cheers Brian,
Went down the HDI EBC route same as Mike but getting used to the additional power is terrible and got bitten by the bug for more, just done a H&S 3" Decat and centre section to mate upto my HKS backbox and wanting more.
Terrible isn't it - but good fun!:bananapartyhat:

·
2,966 Posts
Yep !, we are stuck with it . You can 'improve' the airflow in and exhaust gases out ( porting the headers), tweak the boost and exhaust system but after that .....
No point in turbo change etc if the ecu cannot be reprogramed. The only solution I found was to have a completely new'stand alone' ECU fitted and bin the oem one. This was just too expensive for me. ( 1.5k + mapping).They might be a bit cheaper now but I haven't looked at this again recently.

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
Yep !, we are stuck with it . You can 'improve' the airflow in and exhaust gases out ( porting the headers), tweak the boost and exhaust system but after that .....
No point in turbo change etc if the ecu cannot be reprogramed. The only solution I found was to have a completely new'stand alone' ECU fitted and bin the oem one. This was just too expensive for me. ( 1.5k + mapping).They might be a bit cheaper now but I haven't looked at this again recently.

Cheers

Brian
Why 1.5k?!
You can get a DTA S40/Omex/Emerald from 580-700 plus mapping (depending where you get it from).
Still not cheap but not 1.5k range

·
2,966 Posts
That was the figure quoted to me by Tractive Solutions some 5/6 yrs ago ! Can't remember the name of the system recommended but it was a complete rewire job.
That is what I was told !
I checked with other suppliers/ makes etc but NO ONE would guarantee that their unit was compatible with the autobox ecu as no one had tried it. This is the problem. Just an ecu change with a manual is OK but the autobox has its own ecu as well and they both have to work together. No one apparently has tried their system with the subaru autobox ecu ! Gave up in the end.

Cheers
Brian

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Why 1.5k?!
One word "Automatic" :shake:

the problem with the early automatic foresters was they have 2 ecu's and most aftermarket ecu's dont play well with the standard gearbox ecu.

We found a solution from Japan which replaces both, and due to the exchange rate being rat sh*t at the moment its 1.5k for a swap.

Kushbex, what pressure are you running? mines been fine at 1.25bar now for well over 2 years. :Banane35:

I also have ported headers and will be having a larger exhaust fitted shortly.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Also bad news regarding the ECU, but kinda got the impression it was more of a bedroom project rather than a serious business product. Which is a shame, but hey ho!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts